"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 17, 2021

TTT: Book Titles That Are Complete Sentences

 


Top Ten Tuesday: Book Titles That Are Complete Sentences

A sentence is a grammatically complete idea. All sentences have a noun or pronoun component called the subject, and a verb part called the predicate.

Let's see if I can find any book titles that are complete sentences...






 

 
I found this assignment to be more difficult than I imagined when I started searching for titles with complete sentences. For one thing, I try to only use books I've actually read when creating top ten lists. As I looked through my Goodreads account for titles that would fit the bill it became very evident that complete sentence titles are rare. Hence, notice all the funky titles I resorted to adding to the list. Ha!

Anne



23 comments:

  1. Oh you did good this week. Mine are all short sentences lolol. You picked some good ones, especially love that second one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! These are great. I realized pretty quickly that most people don't know what a complete sentence is, LOL, but you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed this too as I'm checking out others' lists. I think most people would realize it if they said the title out loud. I hope, anyway.

      Delete
  3. I always think long book titles are less effective, but then I see your list and I am not sure. There are some amazing books on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you came up with a great list! The only one I've read was Are You There God, It's Me Margaret, but you've got a bunch that are on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clap When You Land! Great book and great choices, and I love Aristotle and Dante!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a great idea for a top ten topic - and you are right, not many books have a complete sentence as the title. Long titles aren't very eye-catching on the spines, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2021/05/top-ten-tuesday-book-titles-that-are.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these are not only sentences, but they are eye-catching sentences. The title makes you open the book...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read Clap When You Land sometime soon!

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-book-titles-that-are-complete-sentences/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great selection! And it comes with an English lesson! Extra bonus. Hum if you don't know the words are still on my kindle and TBR, waiting to be read.

    I had fun with today's prompt: TTT - The new Mary Higgins Clark in 10 sentences

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how today's topic seems to be bringing out a lot more variety in various lists. I love a list that includes both Maya Angelou and Dr. Seuss!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read and loved so many of these titles. Fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got some great choices! I've been meaning to read Clap When You Land for a while, hope to do so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clap When You Land almost made my list. Forgot about Yaqui Delgado which I really need to read already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great choices! Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I initially thought this was going to be a really tough TTT topic, but I was surprised by how many complete sentence titles I was able to find. There are actually quite a lot of them out there. Who knew??

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I couldn't come up with many for this week's list so I changed the topic. It was hard!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/05/18/top-ten-tuesday-316/

    ReplyDelete
  18. SUCH a good list. There are a few books on your list that I read and completely forgot have titles with complete sentences! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday list for this week. (The Judy Blume book is on my list as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome list! Eleanor Oliphant and Aristotle and Dante made it onto my list too! And A.S. King has some good ones.

    My TTT: https://memorymeetsimagination.wordpress.com/2021/05/18/top-ten-tuesday-book-titles-that-are-complete-sentences/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've read several of these, but not as many as I expected. Loved Eleanor!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe were popular picks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How did I forget Clap When You Land. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.