"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 24, 2021

TTT: Quotes about trees


Top Ten Tuesday: Quotes about trees.

Currently I am reading the book Around the World in 80 Trees by Jonathan Drori, beautifully illustrated by Lucille Clerc. It is so delightful and I am learning so much about special trees around the world that I decided to dedicate this Top Ten Tuesday post to quotes about trees.

“There's a Chinese saying. 'When is the best time to plant a tree? Twenty years ago.' "
The Chinese engineer smiles. "Good one."
"When is the next best time?" "Now."
"Ah! Okay!" The smile turns real. Until today, he has never planted anything. But Now, that next best of times, is long, and rewrites everything.”
Richard Powers, The Overstory 

“My mother was right. There was a whole world in that tree, and so there is in every tree. They warrant our appreciation, and many of them need our protection.”
Jonathan Drori, Around the World in 80 Trees 

“Of all the trees we could've hit, we had to get one that hits back.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 

 

“Her eye fell everywhere on lawns and plantations of the freshest green; and the trees, though not fully clothed, were in that delightful state when farther beauty is known to be at hand, and when, while much is actually given to the sight, more yet remains for the imagination.”
Jane Austen, Mansfield Park 


  “A seed is alive while it waits. Every acorn on the ground is just as alive as the three-hundred-year-old oak tree that towers over it. Neither the seed nor the old oak is growing; they are both just waiting. Their waiting differs, however, in that the seed is waiting to flourish while the tree is only waiting to die.”
Hope Jahren, Lab Girl


 “Listen to the trees talking in their sleep,' she whispered, as he lifted her to the ground. 'What nice dreams they must have!”
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


“You know me, I think there ought to be a big old tree right there. And let's give him a friend. Everybody needs a friend.” ― Bob Ross (painter)


 “Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky.”
Khalil Gibran, Sand and Foam


“It is easy to become besotted with a willow. The Rapunzel of the plant world, this tree appears as a graceful princess bowed down by her lush tresses, waiting on the riverbank for someone just like you to come along and keep her company.”
Hope Jahren, Lab Girl


“She loved the air after a hard rain, and the way a forest of dripping leaves fills itself with a sibilant percussion that empties your head of words.”
Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer


“A tree’s most important means of staying connected to other trees is a “wood wide web” of soil fungi that connects vegetation in an intimate network that allows the sharing of an enormous amount of information and goods.”
Tim Flannery, The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate

 

“Planting trees, I myself thought for a long time, was a feel-good thing, a nice but feeble response to our litany of modern-day environmental problems. In the last few years, though, as I have read many dozens of articles and books and interviewed scientists here and abroad, my thinking on the issue has changed. Planting trees may be the single most important ecotechnology that we have to put the broken pieces of our planet back together.”
Jim Robbins, The Man Who Planted Trees: Lost Groves, Champion Trees, and an Urgent Plan to Save the Planet 


“Jaime had never realized that trees made a sound when they grew, and no-one else had realized it either, because the sound is made over hundreds of years in waves of twenty-four hours from peak to peak. Speed it up, and the sound a tree makes is vrooom.”
Terry Pratchett, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch 


-Anne

19 comments:

  1. I love all of these quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mix, I really like what you did with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful! The ones from Lab Girl made me sigh, and the one from Anne made me smile. And Gibran always manages to capture the awe in just the right way. :) Happy TTT!
    ~ Lex (lexlingua.co)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your theme for the week, I love trees tho some of them give me allergies :/ Here's my TTT https://readwithstefani.com/my-favorite-quotes-from-books/ Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh. these quotes are like breathe of fresh air. <3 this line particularly moved me: A seed is alive while it waits

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love trees! What a lovely post.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-lgbt-book-quotes/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trees are one of my favorite things in the natural world. I especially love the quote from the Richard Powers book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I moved into our house just over twenty years ago and we frantically planted trees. Now, twenty years later, we have tall majestic trees in our yard and our neighbors, who didn't, still have no shade.

      Delete
  8. Nice choice of theme for this week!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/05/25/top-ten-tuesday-317/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice for the theme. Here is my post-https://paigesofbook.blogspot.com/2021/05/top-ten-tuesday-books-or-series-to-have.html.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quotes! I love the trees and plants on your property.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely theme to choose! My TTT post is here: https://wordywitterings.com/2021/05/25/top-ten-tuesday-book-quotes-about-reading/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The book AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 TREES was very inspiring.

      Delete
  12. I love this unusual take on the theme! And I always loved that Potter quote--it cracks me up every time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great twist on the topic! I've listened to ANNE OF GREEN GABLES and ANNE OF AVONLEA both over the last month or so and Anne is ALWAYS talking about trees. I love trees, but she REALLY loves them :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love trees, and I love this list! 💚🌳
    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday list this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was wondering if the if the Whomping Willow would get a spot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you chose to do quotes about trees! Great list!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.