"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 19, 2021

TTT: Favorite lines from poems

 


Top Ten Tuesday

Another "Poetry Month" theme for my Top Ten Tuesday posts, today I am off-the-board listing-

 My Favorite Lines in Poems 
(Or... I Wish I Could Memorize These Lines of Poetry So I Wouldn't Have to Keep Looking Them Up!)

 (Sorry, I couldn't stop myself at ten! I hope you enjoy these.)

"Out Beyond Ideas" by Rumi
"To My Dear and Loving Husband" by Anne Bradstreet


"The Summer Day" by Mary Oliver

"Love at First Sight" by Wislawa Szmborska

"Forgetfulness" by Billy Collins

"The God Abandons Anthony" by C.P. Cavafy

"How Do I Love Thee" (Sonnet 43) by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
 

"[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in] by E.E. Cummings

"Snipping snoppers" from Happy Birthday to You by Dr. Seuss

"Zombie" by Margaret Atwood

"Jenny Kiss'd Me" by Leigh Hunt

 

"The Journey" by Mary Oliver

"Today" by Billy Collins
 

"When Great Trees Fall" by Maya Angelou


"Last Night As I Was Sleeping" by Antonio Machado


"Happy Thought" from A Child's Garden of Verses (XXIV) by Robert Louis Stevenson


"The Loon" by Mary Oliver


"The Hill We Climb: An Inaugural Poem for the Country" by Amanda Gorman
 

-Anne




12 comments:

  1. Billy Collins has perfectly described our spring weather lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely!

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-colourful-book-covers/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a delightful and inspiring collection of lines from poetry. I'm still thinking about that beautiful line from Maya Angelou. I've been thinking recently about the loss of loved ones and that line is deeply comforting. And Jenny Kiss'd Me uses the power of reminding ourselves of the good things.

    I think I need to start my own list of favorite lines from poetry. Thank you, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not big on poetry, but you can get some amazing inspiration from it at times.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to read Margaret Atwood's poetry, I love her fiction writing. My favourite quote on this list was the one by Mary Oliver.
    My TTT: https://booksandbouquets.blogspot.com/2021/04/top-10-tuesday-colorful-book-covers.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing about poetry is they can pack so much meaning into such compact lines. I love that third one especially. The Cummings one is nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Mary Oliver line about a precious life. It's so straightforward, but at the same time, powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be hard-pressed to choose a favorite from this list. At this particular moment, I might choose Amanda Gorman's lines. It felt like she rang the bell, signaling a changing of the guard for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great topic! Really like the line from Antonio Machado, will have to look him up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! I love the theme of this list! I used to write poetry myself. Great list!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love that Mary Oliver quote! Love these beautiful lines. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I absolutely love your twist here! What a great poetry month spin. I hadn't heard of a lot of these before, so I'm glad to have discovered some new poems! I absolutely love Rumi.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.