"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 5, 2021

TTT: Favorite books written in verse


 Top Ten Tuesday

Another "Poetry Month" theme for my Top Ten Tuesday posts, today I am off-the-board listing

 Favorite Books Written in Verse

 


 Clap When You Land
by Elizabeth Acevedo---
Amazingly the story is told from the point-of-view of two narrators and the poetry for each person's voice is decidedly different. Excellent.
 


Poet X
by Elizabeth Acevedo---
An award-winning novel by the same author as above. It is about a girl who finds slam poetry as a way of coping with her family life. Oddly for a novel written in verse, none of the slam poems were included.


Shout
by Laurie Halse Anderson---
This autobiography, written in verse, is by the author of Speak. It covers tough topics but one can understand where the 'inspiration' for her award-winning novel came from.


Audacity by Melanie Crowder---
This novel written in verse is based on a real-life person, Clara Lemlich, who fought for the labor rights of women working in the clothing industry after the Triangle Shirtwaist fire that killed so many women. Crowder's poetry is top notch. 


An Uninterrupted View of the Sky
by Melanie Crowder---
Another excellent book based on a real-life problem in Columbia: the incarceration of poor people who cannot pay for legal assistance. A tough topic but the story was beautiful in verse.


Blood Water Paint
by Joy McCullough---
Based ona real historical figure and a phenomenal female artist, Artemisia Gentileschi, who was painting during the Renaissance when only men were allowed in the artists guilds. When she encounters a situation that would break most people she kept her head up and kept painting. I was tremendously moved by this book, written in verse. 


Long Way Down
by Jason Reynolds---
Reynolds is an awesome writer and I was even more impressed by him when I read this book which is about a boy who is considering the use of a gun as retribution for the death of a sibling. Boy, this book is powerful.


October Mourning: A Song for Matthew
Shepard
by Leslea Newman---
Matthew Shepard was murdered because he was gay. This book written in beautiful verses about his life and his last day. Powerful and heartbreaking.


Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc
by David Elliott---
Elliott is a poet and experiments with a variety of poetic forms in this novel about a historic heroine. This is one to savor.


Ordinary Hazards
by Nikki Grimes---
In her own voice, author and poet Nikki Grimes explores the truth of a harrowing childhood in a memoir in verse.
 
-Anne

13 comments:

  1. As a style, books in verse and I wouldn't get along. Of this I'm quite sure. That said, I have heard LOTS of people love Elizabeth's books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audacity sounds amazing.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-id-gladly-throw-into-the-ocean/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poet x was fabulous; I adore Elizabeth's writing style and long way down and clap when you land are both on my TBR! Fabulous list.
    Here's mine: https://booksandbouquets.blogspot.com/2021/04/top-10-tuesday-books-id-gladly-throw.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to throw in there Out of the Dust. I keep thinking about how much I liked this story as I slog through The Four Winds. Talk about a book I'd like to throw in the ocean....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gal in my book club LOVES Four Winds and just about moved into it. Now I'll approach it with more caution.

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love how you approached this week. I'm a total sucker for novels in verse. I'll read almost any of them. Long Way Down and October Mourning are two of my favorites. I seriously need to get around to Clap When You Land, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad An Uninterrupted View of the Sky is on your list! I thought it was a really good book, but haven't seen anyone else who has read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any books in verse yet (I think), but I've been meaning to try Elizabeth Acevedo for some time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a lot of books! I want to read Acevedo, too. I was led to believe Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo was written in verse, but it wasn't really, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to challenge myself to read more books in verse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love novels in verse!! The Poet X is fantastic. One of my favorites is Other Words for Home if you haven’t read that one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth Acevedo and Jason Reynolds are a couple of my favorites. Great picks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I cannot wait to read Clap When You Land. I'm glad to see it on your list!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.