"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 26, 2021

TTT: Animals in Literature

 


Top Ten Tuesday: Some of my favorite animals in literature 

(I tried to limit my choices to "real animals" in the books, not stuffed animals or toys)


1. Aslan. The LION in The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis


2. Fodderwing. A DEER (FAWN) in The Yearling by Marjorie Rawlings


3. Old Dan and Little Ann. RED BONE COONHOUNDS in Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls


4. Enzo. A GOLDEN RETRIEVER in The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.


5. Ralph. A MOUSE in The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary


6. Charlotte and Wilbur. The SPIDER and PIG in Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

7. Mrs. Tiggy Winkle. A HEDGEHOG in The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle by Beatrix Potter. (Actually all of the Beatrix Potter Characters, like Peter Rabbbit and Tom Kitten.)


8. Pantalaimon. Lyra's daemon who settled as a PINE MARTIN when she turned twelve in His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman.


9. Mr. and Mrs. Beaver. BEAVERS in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis


10. Black Beauty. A HORSE whose father was a THOROUGHBRED in Black Beauty by Anna Sewell


11. Mrs. Frisby. A MOUSE in Mrs. Frisby and Rats of NIMB by Robert O'Brien

12. Crookshanks. Hermione Granger's pet PERSIAN CAT in Harry Potter and the Prisoner's of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling.


13. Winn-Dixie. A MUTT DOG in Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo.


14. Walter. A BIG DOG-- PART LAB MIX, in The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry.


15. Hedwig. A SNOWY OWL in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.


16. All the CATS (like Old Deuteronomy, Jennyanydots, Mr. Mistofles, Skimbleshanks...) in Old Possum's Book of Magical Cats by T.S. Eliot.

-Anne

16 comments:

  1. Oh Aslan is awesome- wish I would have thought of that one! And yay for Mrs. Frisby and Rats of NIMH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Frisby may have poisoned my mind against anthropomorphised animals! Having said that, I am loving Podkin One-Ear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list and my list have a lot of overlap. I focused on real animals, not toys or magical creatures, too. Because of Winn-Dixie and Where the Red Fern Grows are two of my top favorite animal stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list - I loved Black Beauty growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those are such fun choices!

    Here's my TTT list: https://wp.me/po307-1NR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great choices here! Black Beauty was one of my favourite books when I was a kid.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/04/27/top-ten-tuesday-313/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful list, you have many of my favorites. And, you are the first to list Hedwig, which made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have several in common today. Great picks!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I forget Charlotte and Wilbur! And Ralph the mouse, and Stewart Little, and Louis the trumpeter swan.

    I did have Aslan, Hedwig, and all of Beatrix Potter's animals on my list, at least!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many of these I've forgotten about! Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *Me scrolling down this list and seeing number two*

    "Oh, a movie about Malfoy and a baby deer!"

    No brain, that is not what it is. Stop.

    Lovely list! Black Beauty was one of my favorite stories as a kid, and there's a ton of other great animals here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one. I had to go back and look. That boy does look like Malfoy but was filmed a long time before that actor was born!

      Delete
  12. Wow!!! All of these animals are so awesome!! Great list!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had wilbur and charlotte and black beauty on my list too.

    my ttt: https://blessedmommysc.blogspot.com/2021/04/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-animals-from.html

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.