I've decided to participate in the April Dewey's 24-hour readathon this weekend, with modifications:
1. Instead of attempting to read for 24 hours in one day, which would involve staying up all night, I will attempt to read 24 hours during the weekend.
2. I will update my progress on this page, not create separate pages every time I post about my progress. Follow my progress below. I will attempt to update at 6-8 hour intervals.
3. My list of hopefuls:
- The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict is for an upcoming book club. Print. Current progress 0%.
- The Girl with the Louding Voice by Dare is for another upcoming book club. Audio. Current progress 9%.
- Dune by Frank Herbert is my 2021 only reading goal. Audio and or e-book. Current progress 68%.
- Saving My Enemy by Bob Welch. He has asked me to preview his book. Print. Progress 5%.
- Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Kafka. My Classics Club spin book. Print. Progress 0%.
- The Atlas of Happiness by Russell. Progress 75%
- Fred Rogers: The Last Interview and Other Conversations. Progress 0%
- I've requested "Grab bag" poetry books from the library, allowing the librarian to surprise me with the selections. I hope to read one or more of these. Print. (See #5 below)
4. Want to join yourself? Here is the linkup spot: Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon
5. I just got home from the public library. In addition to the books I requested I asked for a 'Grab bag' of poetry books for adults. These are the treasures that were sent home with me:
- His Day is Done: A Nelson Mandela Tribute by Maya Angelou
- The Ancient Mariner by David Jones
- Postcolonial Love Poem by Natalie Diaz
- Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass by Lana Del Ray
- Scribbled in the Dark by Charles Simic
- I Can't Talk About the Trees Without the Blood by Tiana Clark
First Update: Saturday morning, 9 AM.
- Yesterday (and this morning) I figure I read/listened for about six hours worth of reading. Finished: His Day is Done: a Nelson Mandela Tribute; Scribbled in the Dark; We Are Water Protectors; The Atlas of Happiness. Progress made on Dune; Saving My Enemy; Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass.
Second update: Saturday evening, 7 PM.
- I had a few unexpected interruptions today, most of them pleasant, that kept me from reading as much as I had hoped. I figure that I managed another 5 hours worth of reading since my last update. Finished: Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass, Fred Rogers: The Last Interview and Other Conversations, and Dune. Progress made: Saving My Enemy.
Third update: Sunday morning, 9 AM.
- The family gathered to watch another Academy Award nominated film, The Sound of Metal, last night so I got little reading done after my last update but I got up early and have managed another 2 1/2 -3 hours of reading. Progress made: Saving My Enemy; Postcolonial Love Poem; I Can't Talk About the Trees Without the Blood. I started The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by reading some of the introductory material but found myself not that interested in the minute details of Kafka's writing style so I skipped ahead and began reading the first short story in the collection, "Meditation." My eldest daughter and her young family are visiting us this afternoon so it seems unlikely I will accomplish my goal of reading for 24 hours over the course of three days so I may have to stretch out into Monday.😔
Fourth update: Monday morning, 9 AM.
- I got little reading done yesterday with a three-year-old and a baby in the house. The whole day I tried to tuck in a little reading here and there and managed to cobble together 3-3 1/2 hours during the last 24-hours. That brings my total reading hours from Friday until today to 17 hours. But I am determined to finish this task of reading for a full 24-hours, even though it is really just reading. Ha! Finished: I Can't Talk About the Trees Without the Blood. Progress made: Saving My Enemy and The Girl with the Louding Voice.
Fifth update: Monday evening, 9 PM.
- I spent the majority of the day either reading or listening and managed to scrunch in 5 1/2 hours of reading in between life. I will likely read for another 1/2 hour before going to bed, so let's say 6 hours since the last update. That means I managed to read/listen for 23-hours over the past four days. Finished: Saving My Enemy. Progress made: The Girl With the Louding Voice and Postcolonial Love Poem.