It almost doesn't count, me participating in scheduled/named readathons because I do not interact with other readers during the event. I just read. And I break the rules. I try to read for 24-hours and I keep reading until I hit that mark, even if it takes me days. I should call it the 'Anne Readathon.' I am almost done. I managed to read somewhere between 22-23 hours over the course of four days. Ha! Not as impressive as it sounds at first glance, huh? What is the daily average? 5.62-5.75 hours, which is a whole lot more reading per day than I usually do.
Here is the down of what I accomplished.
Books I started before the readathon and completed during it:
- Saving My Enemy: How Two WWII Soldiers Fought Against Each Other and Later Forged a Friendship That Saved Their Lives by Bob Welch. (Print)
- I had barely started the book before Friday starting from page10. Pages read during readathon: 370.
- I'd been listening to the audiobook for a month and was somewhere around page 580 when I started the event. Equivalent pages read/listened to during the event: 310.
- I was on page 206 when the event started. Pages completed: 82.
- Total pages: 762
Books I read in entirety:
- Fred Rogers: The Last Interview and Other Conversations. (Print) Pages: 97.
- His Day is Done: A Nelson Mandela Tribute by Maya Angelou (Print poetry) Pages: 43.
- Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass by Lana Del Ray (Print poetry) Pages: 128.
- Scribbled in the Dark by Charles Simic (Print poetry) Pages: 72.
- I Can't Talk About the Trees Without the Blood by Tiana Clark (Print poetry) Pages: 112.
- We Are Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom, illustrated by Michaela Goade (Print children's book) Pages: 40.
- Total pages: 492
Books I started but didn't complete/progress made:
- The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare. (Audiobook). I started the event at 9% now I'm at 52% on the audio settings. Page equivalency: from 33 to 192=159.
- Postcolonial Love Poem by Natalie Diaz. (Print). Pages read: 34.
- The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka. Pages read: 10.
- "Bonnie's Big Day", James Herriot's Treasury for Children (Print children's book). Pages read: 32.
- Total pages: 235
- Grand total: 1489
- That averages to 66 pages per hour, which doesn't sound like that much but listening to audiobooks is much slower than reading, usually around 32-25 pages per hour. (I was going to figure out the adjusted pages per hour if I back them out, but I can't figure out the math. Ha!)
I like to do these 'readathons' when I am feeling swamped by the number of books I have in a queue. Those books tend to call out to me and it can get pretty noisy when there are a lot of books waiting. Even though I finished nine books during the event, I still have five books waiting to be read/finished. Guess I should just keep going!😄