"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 18, 2020

TTT: What I love about being a reader


Top Ten Tuesday: What I love about being a reader

1. I always have something to do that I enjoy, even when I am doing something I don't like waiting for an appointment.

2. I often have read the book before the movie comes out, so I have consumed the superior source first.

3. Most of my best friends are also readers so we always have something to discuss---what we are reading.

4. I know where to go to find new information and I enjoy reading books where I learn something new. As a librarian I used to tell people who wold ask me for information that I was a generalist---that I know a little bit about a lot of stuff, but I know where to find more information.

5. I usually have lots of book ideas for gifts.

6. Unless I am late for a meeting or an appointment, I don't mind getting stuck in traffic because I always have an audiobook going in the car. Traffic jams just give me more time to listen to my story.

7. Books help create special family moments---books we read together every year at Christmas; snuggling with children or grandchildren and a book; family car trips listening to audiobooks en route.

8. Books can help quiet the negative chatter in my head these days of negative news and politics---poetry, nature essays, inspiring stories are the obvious choices, but right now I am enjoying humorous books the most. I need to keep the laughter coming just to survive.

What do you like about being a reader?

-Anne

21 comments:

  1. I especially identify with #6 & #8. Books help quiet the chatter and thoughts bouncing around my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great reasons! I agree about #8 too- now more than ever books are an escape and a respite from all the bad news. But these are all great reasons. #1 too- I've always just been a reader and can't imagine not being one haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books can be great gifts for sure!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved learning more about you. Books are always great gifts.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this list, especially #8. Reading is something that really helps when the outside world is overwhelming and I need a break.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like reading is a super power. It takes me to magical places and lets me go inside the minds of brilliant thinkers and shows me the beauty of words and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww I love these!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2020/05/19/top-ten-tuesday-264/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love giving books as gifts and would not be able to do so so easily if I wasn't a reader or involved in this community.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I did somethings similar on my blog:) But one I didn't mention that I agree in particular is number eight - we definitely need good escape from the world we're living in today

    MY TTT: https://moonlitbooks.home.blog/2020/05/19/tttwhyilovebooks/

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1,3 and 8 for me. I don't do audio books, nor am I often in traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all great things about being a reader. I love being a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great list! I love the places books take me to, and the things they make me think about. I love how they expand my world, and let me escape. I love how they're always there, waiting to be read. And that I never have to be bored as long as I have a good book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having friends who are also readers is always great, it makes me wish I had more friends who are readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hear, hear! I agree with all of these. I especially love that I'm never bored because I always have a book (or two or three ...) with me. It makes life more pleasant, even when you're doing something unpleasant like waiting in traffic or at the doctor's office.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Audio books are wonderful things for commutes. I'm in the car 8 hours a week just about. It's either that or news. And who really wants to listen to news these days?

    My TTT if interested: https://www.woodpeckerbooks.com/2020/05/19/top-ten-tuesday-why-i-love-middle-grade-dragons

    ReplyDelete
  16. Because it takes me into another world ... far different than my own ... with ideas, characters, settings ... there's nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can relate to this post! I would add that I love being a reader because it’s an inexpensive hobby for me. My town has a library, and it’s pretty easy to find cheap used books online.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great list! :) I really like #1. I can be impatient when waiting, but if I have a book with me then I don't mind waiting at all.
    Here's my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great list! No, I don't mind waiting places. There was a Twitter thread asking what you do when you get bored... I almost never get bored unless I'm not allowed to read or let my mind wander.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your number one is mine as well. I am never bored, don't mind waiting for appointments, etc because I always have a book with me. I also love the escape into a story.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.