"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, May 22, 2020

Review and quotes: THE RESTAURANT AT THE END OF THE UNIVERSE

Title: The Restaurant At the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams

Book Beginnings quote:
The story so far:  In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Friday56: quote:
'What a depressingly stupid machine,' said Marvin and trudged away.
Other favorite quotes:
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. 
____________________________________________________________________________
The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them. //To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. //To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
____________________________________________________________________________
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy offers this definition of the word "Infinite". Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some. Much bigger than that in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, "wow, that's big", time. Infinity is just so big that by comparison, bigness itself looks really titchy. Gigantic multiplied by colossal multiplied by staggeringly huge is the sort of concept we're trying to get across here. 
____________________________________________________________________________
The little waiter's eyebrows wandered about his forehead in confusion. 
____________________________________________________________________________

Review (of sorts): I came to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy party late in life. But when I finally did arrive, I enjoyed every minute of the experience. Adam's zany sense of humor, the jokes, the funny-sounding names, and a bit of a mystery attached to a particular number. I laugh when I think about the book.

Laughing is what I want to do these days due to the pandemic situation, so I opted to read the second book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe. It is just as silly as the first book but maybe not as funny...or maybe the same funniness so it seemed predictable on that score. But I did laugh and it was worth the time for that reason and the quotes. Oh, the quotes. You know the book is going to be funny right from the start with the questioning if the universe should have been created in the first place. The quote from page 56 is from Marvin, the depressed robot. We met him in the first book and he is always good for several laughs.The other quotes I picked all make me smile or even laugh out loud. My favorite is the quote about anyone who thinks they should be President, shouldn't be. That seems really obvious right now with Trump as ours...totally unqualified but he thinks he is the best. Ugh.

Just in case you are wondering, there is a tiny plot in The Restaurant At the End of the World. Zaphod Beeblebrox has been tasked with locating the person who is really in charge of the universe, since he, the President of the Universe, knows it isn't him. Douglas Adams seemed to have an endless imagination for creative names and places, all of them funny.

I listened to the audiobook read by Martin Freeman. His name alone makes me laugh since the robot is named Martin and he wishes to be free, but I digress. The first book in the series was narrated by Stephen Fry, one of the best at his craft. Though Freeman did a fine job, I missed Fry's narration. It is a perfect book to digest in the audio format, allowing for the narrator to help with comedic timing of the jokes and, if one loses their place as sometimes happened when listening to the audio narration, no bid deal. You won't miss any of the plot, since the plot is almost missing anyway.

The third book in the series, Life, The Universe, and Everything, has been added to my TBR pile. Who knows I may get to it sooner than later.

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from current book.
Th
e Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56 to share. 

Visit these two websites to participate. Click on links to read quotes from books other people are reading. It is a great way to make blog friends and to get suggestions for new reading material.


Happy Stay-at-home Memorial Day Weekend!
-Anne

12 comments:

  1. Douglas Adams is such a big thinker. His ability to take huge, abstract ideas and make them not only understandable, but also funny? That's genius!

    Thanks for sharing and hope you have a good weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I was just looking at the first one yesterday. I read these about 30 years ago and I still look at digital watches with a hint of suspicion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that part about people who want to rule others are the least suited to do it. That struck a chord with me! LOL.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one I have wanted to read for a long time. I once wanted to read all of his works. I stopped for some reason, other books got in the way. :-) I added you to the linky but hope you pop by anyway. Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of this book, but you have my attention. I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "tiny plot' - giggle. I don't that plot was a priority when he wrote these books. It's been years since I read these. I wonder if I can still find my copies.

    Good pick! happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a series I really need to try one of these days. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am embarrassed to admit that I've never read Hitchhiker's Guide! It's funny how sometimes a classic book that everyone seems to have read just doesn't make it into our reading world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this series years ago and just loved it. So much fun! You've got me wanting to listen to the audio version now . . . Thank you for sharing! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the best five part trilogy I've ever read! So much fun, although reading something in between each one is a good idea otherwise you might get tired of the humour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds quite curious. I don't think I've read Hitchhiker's Guide yet! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww man, these quotes are great and take me back. It's been quite a few years since I read this, and you're making me want to go back and re-read the series. It's one of my favorites. xD Oooh, Martin Freeman does the narration? I might have to look into the audiobook for this. :D

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.