"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Sunday Salon and Coronavirus diary, May 31st



"The Kiss" Photo credit: D. Bennett

Weather: We woke up to a thunderstorm on Saturday morning. The weather earlier in the week was perfect. We ate outside almost every meal and found ourselves just sitting on the deck enjoying ourselves.

Making memories: Last weekend we babysat our grandson. His mommy went to visit her sister in SF and his daddy had to work. So we got to have fun together. We went to the Washington coast one day. We planned the whole event so we were self-contained and didn't need to interact with anyone else. Ian had a great time. He ran away from waves and tunneled, with his finger, for clams. See photo above, where Ian is poking his thumb in clam holes and Bingley is giving him a big kiss. Everything about the day was perfect. It was not even that windy or cold at the beach.
     The next day we took the rocks we had decorated and hid them in the park which has a forested section. Ian was so earnest in finding just the right hiding spots and so proud of himself when we were done. Later he told his mommy all about each rock as they looked at this collage I made of the event.

Better Days: This video, with contributions from around the world, was centered around the OneRepublic song, "Better Days." I love watching these. I get so inspired by the message that we are all in this together and it won't last forever.
"Oh, I know that there'll be better days
Oh, that sunshine 'bout to come my way
May we never ever shed another tear for today
'Cause oh, I know that there'll be better days."


Republicans Against Trump: This webpage is dedicated to republicans and conservatives who cannot, will not support Trump any longer and will not vote for him in November. There are over 100 videos of their stories. I watched about 10-15 of them to get a flavor for the project. It left me feeling hopeful. If you know someone who has turned (from the dark side?), suggest they record their story here.

Humor in the time of the coronavirus, because we really need to laugh right now:
  • -This is really short so don't worry if you don't understand Spanish. Here a cooking demo doesn't go according to plan. ((Click the link. It is worth it. Come on. Don't skip this.)
  • -Creativity is really blossoming these days. Here's a twist on the Billy Joel hit, "Longest Time". I've watched it a bunch of times and enjoyed it over and over. Click play right on the screen.


  • - OK, this article isn't funny but it is about how humor can help ease stress during the pandemic. Click this link if you want to read more. This paragraph alone explains why I am including humor in my Sunday Salon posts.
    Humor helps people take back their sense of power in a powerless situation and it helps them connect with others—two things we have lost during this pandemic. And although there is nothing particularly funny about what we're going through, science suggests that those funny memes, crazy TikTok videos, and snarky online quotes may be just what we need to ease the overwhelming fear, anxiety, and grief many of us are dealing with on a daily basis.
Even dogs are practicing social distancing these days:
Even dogs are pracicing social distancing these days

No need to explain this one:

Or this one:

We're living a cartoon life now:

I know this is hard to read because it is cream on purple, but the description of the holiday, Koronakah, is so funny:

What is with all the anti-science people?

Summer Bummer: There's disappointment about Seafair (Seattle's summer festival) being canceled this year. But I can relate to the Seafair pirates who now have more time for puzzles. I think I just finished my 15th puzzle of the coronavirus pandemic.
Copyright: David Horsey, Seattle Times

And finally, what do you do if you are a sports broadcaster and sports are canceled?

BBC sports commentator narrates Australia's penguin parade in lockdown voiceover

Reading:
  • Completed in the last two weeks:
    • Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. Audio. Carly's comment when I told her I was finally reading this book, "Everyone's favorite book in fourth grade." Well, I liked it a lot, too.
    • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood by Fred Rogers, with movie tie-in. Print. I loaned this one to my daughter after I finished it. I love Mr. Rogers.
    • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams. Audio. Sequel to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. So funny.
    • Miss Kopp's Midnight Confessions by Amy Stewart. Audio. #3 book in the Kopp Sisters series. We were reading book #1 for book club that got canceled due to the pandemic so I am reading on.
    • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You by Jason Reynolds and Ibram Kendi. E-Book. Sadly this is a perfect book to enlighten me about the backdrop for what is happening in Minneapolis right now. The adult version of this YA book won the 2016 National Book Award for nonfiction. I highly recommend it.
  • Currently reading
    • So Big by Edna Ferber. Print. My Classics Club Spin selection. I'm supposed to be finished by tomorrow. I might make it. Depends on the weather. Good weather, unlikely. Bad weather, better chance. 60% complete.
    • The Water Dancer Ta-Nehesi Coates. Audio. Next month's book club selection. About slavery and the underground railroad. Heavy stuff for heavy times. 53%
What are Fred and George up to? This week my daughter shared photos of the boys that made me laugh. First they keep playing in the entertainment center, one on one level, the other on another. Don't you love those tails? Next, in the spirit of their forebears, the boys spent some time on the top of the refrigerator. All our cats have loved getting up on the fridge so they can have a high vantage point on the world. Since my daughter's apartment doesn't have a fridge the cats can access themselves, she put them up there. They seemed to like it.


Prayers for the family of George Floyd and for our nation right now.

Stay safe out there as your state/country starts to open up more.
-Anne

17 comments:

  1. We opened up then again have gone into lockdown today. The whole island not just certain states. Then again fourth and fifth total lockdown. However if it helps in anyway I am all for it. Tiresome but necessary.
    Loved the links, the humour and the satire. We need it now.
    Apart from coronavirus, the news from America is so so sad. Unbelievably so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid of opening up too soon but we have to allow folks to work. Eek!

      Delete
  2. I loved Trump in Hell; it made me laugh. C's kitties are beautiful and their tails are funny sticking out of the entertainment center. Your time with Ian sounds very special. I'm hoping to have a close relationship with my grandson too, although right now he lives much too far away. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly acts like he hates Obama most in the world. All the racism he shows is really just a diversion of that one hatred.

      Delete
  3. What a darling little boy! So glad you got to spend time with him. I got to spend some quality time with my two this weekend, and it makes all the difference. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the laughs! Love those rocks you and your grandson decorated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m glad you were able to spend time with your grandson, and the rock decorating/hiding activity is delightful! I’ll have to remember that to share with my grandkids if any are forthcoming.
    It’s such a tough week, stay safe

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy you were able to spend time with your wonderful grandson. I keep waiting for my cough to be completely gone. I'm very close.

    The humor helps. People are on edge, feeling anxiety about the precariousness of our lives. Thank you for sharing the humor and helping us feel a little better.

    I'm on the waiting list for Stamped. Honestly, I am happy there is such a long waiting list for Stamped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will nominated for Cybils in the fall, if you don't beat me to it! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you had a chance to spend some time with your grandson. He's adorable. Those rocks are wonderful.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rock hiding looks like an ingenious idea. glad you were able to do it. @theglobaldig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the penguin video. I don't know if it's the same guy, but there is a sportscaster narrating his two labradors and it is so funny. The cooking one made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw your grandson is adorable! So is the dog and the silly cats. I loved the COVID 19 song to the tune of Longest Time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I shared your graphic of Trump on my FB. Couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you had that time with your grandson! It looks like it was a great day. :) I loved the Gilligan's Island photo - so true! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh - just lost a really long comment!

    You are such a wonderful Grandma, Anne! Loved the project with the rocks - what a perfect thing to do with Ian. And your trip to the beach looks wonderful, too - I am SO missing the beach, but ours are getting crowded now that they've re-opened.

    I love both songs - Better Days and Longest Time - so I really enjoyed those videos. Also enjoyed your other humorous bits, too - much needed!

    Lots of great books for you lately! Glad you finally got to enjoy The Hatchet - one of our all-time favorites from our cross-country road trips when our boys were young. Did you know it was the start of a series? They were all excellent on audio!

    I'd like to read the Mr. Rogers book, too - and see the movie.

    I have been immersed in gripping fiction for Big Book Summer, but I am feeling like I should be reading something more relevant & important this week.

    Thanks for sharing your week & all the much-needed humor. Enjoy your books this week, Anne -

    Sue

    2020 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.