"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Salon...January 19, 2014

12th-man flag proudly displayed on our house. We are part of the 12th-man fans of the Seattle Seahawks.
Weather: foggy and cold. Yesterday was lovely, though. Clear with blue skies, the mountain looked spectacular.

12th-man: Seattle Seahawks (NFL football team) fans are called the 12th-man because they are so enthusiastic, loud, and spirited. It is as if the team has one extra man on the field with them for every home game. Everywhere in the Seattle area one can find 12th-man flags flying, including our house. (See photo above.) Our Christmas lights this year were blue and green. Don left them up and now they are Seahawks lights with a spotlight on the 12th-man flag. Go Hawks!

Musical memories: Yesterday as I sat in the chair at the hair salon I listened to the music in the background and was treated to a rush of musical memories that took me back to hppy times in my life:

  • Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles)---when my parents were missionaries in West Africa our aunt sent my sister Kathy the Revolver album by the Beatles. It was our first Beatles album and we played it endlessly. Listening to Eleanor Rigby instantly called up that time, living in Liberia with my family yet loving the popular music of the day.
  • A Horse with No Name (America)---when I was a senior in high school I went to an America concert with my friends. I was such a huge fan I uncharacteristically stood on my chair and screamed.

  • Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffet)---Don and I went to a Jimmy Buffet concert at the amphitheater on the gorge near George, Washington about 150 miles from our home. It was a warm evening as we sat on the grass and ate our picnic dinner and watched people around us getting drunk. I wore my parrot earrings. When the concert was over, and it was a very dark night, we couldn't find our car because the landmark, a big motorhome, had moved. So we wandered around the field doubling as a parking lot. It is a funny memory.
  • Below is a darling YouTube video of a young Elvis fan. Do you have a happy musical memory? Please share it in the comment section.




  

From the kitchen: lots of soup. Especially yummy---Coconut Chicken Curry soup. Also I made a delicious batch of chicken cacciatore with lots of vegetables so I could eat more with less guilt.

Books finished this week:
  • Round House by Louise Erdrich ---a modern classic, for sure. Can't wait to discuss this one with my book group.
  • Make Good Art by Neil Gaiman, designed by Chip Kidd---a graduation speech given by Gaiman last year, the book is a graphic design treasure.
  • I Could Chew on This and Other Poems by Dogs by Francesco Marciuliano---bad poems but many are funny (see my favorite below.)
  • Between Heaven and Earth by Eric Walters---the #1 book in the Seven series, seven grandsons, seven adventures. This one is set in Africa and a climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro. 
Unleashed 
I'm free!
I'm free!
I'm free!
I'm free!
I'm free!
I'm lost.
-Francesco Marciuliano (I Could Chew on This and Other Poems by Dogs)

Progress made on other books:
  • The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje---this is my current audiobook. This isn't a book, it is literature. I am savoring it. I just passed the halfway point
  • The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown--- a book club selection; I am having to read this book as if it were homework, slow-going. Page 225 of 370.
  • Earth Girl by Janet Edwards---a dystopian novel. It is on my desk at school. I only read it at lunch so I expect the progress to be slow. Page 75 of 270.
Other bookish things:
  • I transferred Allegiant from a wma file into a mp3 file so that I can transfer it to my ipod. It will be my next audiobook.
  • I was invited to attend the Puyallup Library's 100 year celebration because I read 100 books last year. Cool.
Movie Nights: Don and I have figured out how to get movies on Amazon Prime so we have watched three movies in as many nights. My favorite, starring Al Pacino and Christopher Walken, is called Stand Up Guys. My husband found it so funny he was laughing out loud.

Remember---please leave a comment of a happy musical memory!

Have a good week.

6 comments:

  1. It took me a while to get into Boys in the Boat--but not that long! I loved all the history in it and the rowing info. I learned a lot. You can see why Debbie and I recommended The Round House so highly. Excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my husband and I singing Born to Be Wild to our boys when they were acting crazy on a road trip. I wonder why music reminds us so strongly of memories.

      Delete
    2. We have a pretty funny Born to be Wild memory, too. It involved that game Cranium and the category humdinger. Our family teases my husband about it every chance we get.

      Delete
  2. I have guilt that I am supposed to finish a book today for a TLC Tour and post the review tomorrow, but I am only half way through it at this point! I'd better get reading! I am really looking forward to my day off tomorrow, hope you enjoy yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you'll have to wait till February to bring your lights down :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think seeing the musical Annie many years ago on Broadway -- Allison Smith was the fourth girl to play Annie -- was indeed a happy one. I think I hummed the tunes all the way home that night.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.