"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday Salon...Jan 12

Flowers I gave myself to help brighten the house and the dark days.
Weather: Miserable. Wet, rainy, windy, grey. Really depressing. : The kind of weather that the Pacific Northwest is famous for but it is actually less common that one would think.

Soup this week: my New Year's resolution is to become fit and trim. To get me going I've been making soup for dinner all week...Hearty Vegetable soup; Taco soup; and Zuppa Toscano. Later this week I plan to make curry chicken soup. It is perfect weather for soup.

Wii: In addition to eating soup it is time to get active so I dusted off the Wii Fit Plus. It must be hilarious to see me doing all the little tasks, like flapping my arms like a flying chicken, or twirling a virtual hula-hoop. I've also attempted (and failed) to take the dog for a walk every day. (See the above comment about the weather.)

Back to work after winter break: was a bit of a shock to my system. It is very nice to have my clerk back after her extended illness. She is working hard, making up for lost time.

Here there be dragons and other magical creatures: the highlighted genre of the month is Fantasy.

Currently reading (I didn't finish ANY books this week):

  • Earth Girl by Janet Edwards---This book is my lunchtime book so it make take me a good long time to finish. Dystopian/Utopian.
  • Between Heaven and Earth by Eric Walters---part of the Seven series, seven adventure YA books.
  • Round House by Louise Erdrich--- my audiobook selection; this book has all the makings of a modern classic.
  • The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown---nonfiction, book club selection about the USA 1936 Rowing team. It is slow going at this point.

Catching Fire: we finally went to the movie theater to see Catching Fire, #2 in the Hunger Games series. Loved it. I tried to recall the items they left out it but it didn't seem like anything crucial. Well done.

Poetry: This week I am hosting the school-wide Poetry Out Loud contest. Poetry feed my soul. Here is a portion of a poem (lyrics) by Richard Bruxvoort Colligan that we sang today in church. Enjoy!

O Christ, Surround MeGod be in the love to search and keep me;
God, be the prayer to move my voice;
God, be the strength to now uphold me.
O Christ surround me, O Christ surround me.
...
Walking behind to hem my journey,
Going ahead to light my way,
and from beneath, above and all ways,
O Christ surround me, O Christ surround me. 
                                                 by R.B.Colligan
May your week be filled with poetry, too.

6 comments:

  1. We wanted to see Catching Fire in the theater, but it's looking more and more like we're going to see it on DVD. Glad to hear you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your resolutions. Sounds like you are eating good, healthy food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wii Fit is really fun and funny! People look hysterical doing it all virtually, but it's so great that you are doing it, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that I look ridiculous AND, I might add, out of shape. My arms are tired after flapping around like a chicken and I can barely hula-hoop for 3 minutes. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. Lots of gloomy weather here, too, lately. We've been eating lots of soup too - I made Chinese Beef Hot Pot tonight - very flavorful! I am thinking black bean soup later this week when my vegetarian mom comes to visit.

    Enjoy your books this week!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    Book by Book is now on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite the sunny weather, I have been on a soup binge as well. Made Christmas Lima Bean soup. Yum… Made a second batch, a double recipe so now we have a bit frozen as well.

    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/christmas-lima-bean-stew-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.