"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Challenge Grade Card

Happy New Year!

Here is my 2013 Challenge Grade Card. I participated in eight reading challenges last year.  How did I do? (Check out the specifics on my Challenges Page here.)

1. Big Book Summer Challenge: My goal was one book over 400 pages. I read five big books over the summer.


2. YA Audiobook Challenge: my goal was to listen to and write reviews for 24 audiobooks intended for young adults. I listened to 26 books and wrote reviews for 23 of them.

3. Goodreads Challenge: to read 108 books. I read 117. Woot. Woot.



4. Reading from my Shelf Project Challenge: my goal was ten books. I read ten+ books from my own shelf. Why not A+? Because I purchased five of the books new so I didn't really diminish my personal books pile as much as I would have liked.





5. Read the 2013 ALA Award Books Challenge: this is one of my favorite challenges, reading all the award winning books each year that the American Library Association selects each January. There are ten categories of winners for YA books. This year I read nine of the ten. Join me in reading the 2014 award books, which will be announced the end of January.


6. The Printz Challenge: Every year at the ALA midwinter meeting The Printz committee selects the best four or five YA books of the year. This past year they selected one winner and four honor books. I read all of them, finishing the last one today. In addition to reading current year selections I am attempting to read all past winners as well. I didn't do so well on that part of my challenges reading only two other winners from previous years.

7. Books I Should have Read in School...But Didn't Challenge: my goal was six classic books. I read five books that I should have read in school or earlier in life. Not bad but that is an 84%, a B.





8. Read all of Chris Crutcher's Books Challenge: this is an open, on-going challenge. Crutcher published a new book this year, Period 8. I read that book and no other books by this author all year. Not very good, but passable.



1 comment:

  1. I love that you graded yourself on your challenges! I can't even remember which challenges I took on for 2013 but will definitely look back on them before finishing my 2013 retrospective post (which I have GOT to do soon)!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.