"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, January 27, 2014

Read the ALA Young Adult Award Winners Challenge...just announced today, January 27

Just announced today: the American Library Association Book Awards. Join me in reading all the YA winners this year. Several of the categories have winners that I would consider Middle Grade books. I will note those and you can decide if you want to skip them. Sign up to join me by adding your name and website or email in the comment section.

See the whole list at the ALA website here. Honor books for each category will be listed there. This challenge is to read just the winners.



YA Titles, ALA Awards

1. Michael L. Printz Award (Best YA literature of the year) 
  • Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
2. Schneider Family Book Award (Living with a disability)
  • Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
3. Alex Awards for the 10 best adult books that appeal to teen audiences (Pick one of ten)
  • Brewster by Slouka; Death of Bees by O'Donnell; Golden Boy: a novel by Tarttelin; Help for the Haunted by Searles; Lexicon by Barry; Life of Tao by Chu; Mother, Mother: a novel by Zailckus; Relish by Knisley; The Sea of Tranquility by Millay; The Universe Verse Alex Wood by Extence.
4. Margaret A. Edwards Award (Read one book by the winning author)
  • Markus Zusak (Choose one: Book Thief; I Am the Messenger; Fighting Ruben Wolfe; Getting the Girl)
5. Mildred L. Batchelder Award (Translation)
  • Mister Orange by Truus Matti, translated from Dutch by Laura Watkinson (Book is aimed at the young end of YA or possibly middle grade readers)
6. Stonewall Children's and Young Adult Literature (LGBT)
  • Fat Angie by E. Charlton-Trujillo
7. William C. Morris Award (First novel by author)
  • Charm and Strange by Stephanie Kuehn
8. YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults
  • Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Capture the World's Most Notorious Nazi by Neal Bascomb
9. Odyssey Award (audiobook)
  • Scowler by Daniel Kraus, read by Kirby Heyborne
10.Pura Belpre Author Award
  • Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina
11. Coretta Scott King Author Award (African American Author)
  • P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia (Aimed at middle grade or junior readers)

3 comments:

  1. I feel awful that I haven't heard of most of these let alone read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very difficult to read all the GOOD books published each year. I've only read five of the books so I should have fund reading other good ones. Join me!

      Delete
    2. Woops, I meant I've only read three of them, not five.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.