"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, August 27, 2010

YA Top 100 for 2010

Persnickety Snarks List of Top 100 YA Novels (2010): based on a reader poll conducted for five weeks between April and May 2010. Over 735  respondents shared their top ten YA books from all over the globe; 80% were female.


Bold= Books I've read;  
Italicized=on my list of books to read; 
Red=books I didn't finish;
(Parenthesis)=title in USA/North America.

1. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorceror's) Stone - J.K. Rowling
3. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
4. Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson

5. Northern Lights (The Golden Compass)- Philip Pullman
6. The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen
7. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
8. The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
9. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
10. This Lullaby - Sarah Dessen
11. Looking for Alaska - John Green
12. Just Listen - Sarah Dessen
13. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
14. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

15. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
16. On the (Jellicoe Road) - Melina Marchetta
17. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
18. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
 

19. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
20. Along for the Ride - Sarah Dessen
21. Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater
22. Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead
23. Graceling - Kristin Cashore

24. Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher
25. Sloppy Firsts - Megan McCafferty
26. The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien27. Alanna: The First Adventure - Tamora Pierce
28. Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
29. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
30. Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
31. A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray

32. Tomorrow, When the War Began - John Marsden
33. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks - E. Lockhart
34. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen35. The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin
36. Paper Towns - John Green
37. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling
38. Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

39. A Tree Grows In Brooklyn - Betty Smith
40. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie
41. Lock and Key - Sarah Dessen
42. The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman 43. Evernight - Claudia Gray
44. Sabriel - Garth Nix
45. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
46. Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl 47. Forever - Judy Blume
48. I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
49. Ella Enchanted - Gail Carson Levine
50. The Princess Diaries - Meg Cabot
51. Stargirl - Jerry Spinelli
52. Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones
53. The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper
54. Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick
55. Saving Francesca - Melina Marchetta
56. Second Helpings - Megan McCafferty
57. Dreamland - Sarah Dessen
58. Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer
59. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - Rachel Cohn, David Levithan
60. Fire - Kristin Cashore
61. The Chocolate War - Robert Cormier
62. Weetzie Bat - Francesca Lia Block
63. The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

64. Looking for Alibrandi - Melina Marchetta
65. How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff
66. City of Glass - Cassandra Clare 

67. Keeping the Moon - Sarah Dessen
68. Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer
69. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging - Louise Rennison
70. If I Stay - Gayle Forman
71. The King of Attolia - Megan Whalen Turner 

72. Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson 
73. Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast - Robin McKinley
74. The Blue Sword - Robin McKinley
75. Feed - M.T. Anderson
76. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - Ann Brashares
77. Go Ask Alice - Anonymous 78. Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr
79. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
80. Someone Like You - Sarah Dessen
81. The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan
82. Jacob Have I Loved - Katherine Paterson
83. The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness
84. Poison Study - Maria V. Snyder
85. Shadow Kiss - Richelle Mead
86. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle - Avi
87. An Abundance of Katherines - John Green
88. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
89. A Ring of Endless Light - Madeleine L'Engle
90. Glass Houses - Rachel Caine
91. The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume I: The Pox Party - M.T. Anderson
92. Walk Two Moons - Sharon Creech
93. Whale Talk - Chris Crutcher
94. Perfect Chemistry - Simone Elkeles
95. Going Too Far - Jennifer Echols
96. The Last Song - Nicholas Sparks 

97. Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
98. Hatchet - Gary Paulsen
99. The Pigman - Paul Zindel
100. The Hero and the Crown - Robin McKinley


There is a nice mixture of very current title and a few classics. I think there are a few obvious omissions:  I am the Messenger by Zusak; Percy Jackson and the Olympians (series) by Riordan; Going Bovine by Bray; Tales of the Madman Underground by Barnes; Monster by Myers; Liar by Larbalestier; Marcelo in the Real World by Stork; Little Brother by Doctorow; and Son of the Mob by Korman, to name a few.  Perhaps these titles didn't make the list because 80% of the poll respondents were female and most of the books I mentioned appeal to males. At any rate, it is a fun snapshot in time of what teens are reading/like right now. I definitely need to read some Sarah Dessen and Tamora Pierce.


My count to date: 48.  How about you?  
How many have you read on the list?

12 comments:

  1. Wow there are a lot of books that aren't on that list that I would have thought would be. Percy Jackson being one of them.
    I've read 27 of them. I haven't heard of a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about 45 I think. This is a fun list, and I think I'll be adding a few more to my tbr from here! I believe April over at Good Books and Good Wine has a similar list that she compiled if you wanted to check that out.

    And thanks for stopping by my blog on the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How weird - but I didn't finish The Life of Octavian Nothing either! I started it but just couldn't get into it. I stayed in there for over 100 pages, but I just didn't make a connection. The writing style seemed contrived to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just noticed something. If I had read all the Sarah Dessen books that my students keep telling me to read, I'd have read the top 20 books on this list. Apparently all of her book, except one, made it on here. She has some loyal fans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, stopping by from the hop!

    You've read a good portion of those books - nice! I've read a few of them, but there are many that I want to read.

    Emidy
    from Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read 5 of the first 10. I refuse to read the Twilight series. I really did TRY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you are in the same boat as me. I've read so many of these, but no Sarah Dessen!

    Here's my list: http://www.madiganreads.com/2010/08/ya-top-100.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I'm here for the hop! Have a great day.

    http://firepages.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, just returning your hop! So many excellent books on this list. I would totally recommend reading the Alanna series, Beauty, and Poison Study :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only read 10....of course, I've never really been into YA Lit (not even when I was a YA myself). Thanks for joining my happy band of followers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I'm a new follower stopping by for the Hop. I've read 50 of these books, but there are quite a few that I have on my TBR list.

    Hope you will stop by my blog An Avid Reader's Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by from the hop - I've read about half and those I haven't are patiently waiting to be read!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.