"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Versatile Blogger! Me?

Yeah!  My first blogging award!  Jane over at moydrook reads awarded me a Versatile Blogger Award. Wow.  I am honored. Thank you, Jane!  And now I get to pass this honor on to others.

Here are the rules for this award:

1. Thank and link back to the person who gave you this award.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass the award along to 15 bloggers who you have recently discovered and who you think are fantastic for whatever reason! (In no particular order...)
4. Contact the bloggers you've picked and let them know about the award.

Seven things about me:
1.  I live in the Puget Sound region of Washington State with my husband, two daughters, one dog, two cats, and a fish.  On sunny days we can see Mt. Rainier from one of our upstairs windows if we peer around the corner just right. My husband is my best friend.
2. I have been an educator for thirty years, the last five as a high school librarian. I love my job.  And I can see Mt. Rainier clearly from my library windows (detect a theme?).  It is like I get to work in heaven!
3. I consider myself to be a "Janite"...which used to be a derogatory term used about Jane Austen fans, but now is used to mean someone who loves everything Jane Austen. That's me! I hosted a Jane Austen Week in my library last year and I think it will become an annual event.
4.  I became a reader late in life.  I don't recall reading much in junior or senior high school and I only read what I was assigned in college. My reading "took off" as an adult after I read Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns and I discovered good literature. Now I'm in two book clubs and I get to read as part of my job (see #2.) I always have at least two books going at once and one audiobook going in the car.
5. I started reading YA Literature when I became a high school librarian five years ago and I love most of what I've read so far but I always feel like I need to catch up and make up for all the years I wasn't reading YA lit.  I constantly have some reading challenge going such as the YA through the Decades or the Printz Challenge.
6.  My favorite flowers are roses but I have a deer who keeps coming into our yard to eat them so I haven't had any to cut and enjoy this year.  One of my favorite foods is BBQ salmon marinated in our special  homemade sauce.  Yum! My favorite book that I've read so far this summer is:  The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson.  I'll blog about it this week.
7.  When my whole family gathers for a reunion there are nineteen of us, including my parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc.  We just got together for four days for a reunion/vacation at the Oregon Coast. 

Fifteen blogs I am passing the award on to:
The Prairie Library
Tattooed Books
A Flight of Minds
The Reading Ape
Readergirlz
Teen Book Discussion...all grown up
Great Books for Kids and Teens
Bookmarked
I'd So Rather Be Reading
YA Reads
The Tales Compendium
Lusty Reader
What to Read What to Read
About Books Blog
21 Pages YA Blog

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your award and thank you so much for awarding it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne -

    Congratulations on the award and thank you so much for passing it along to me! I am honored and will pass it along as soon as I have a chance.

    I enjoyed getting to know you better. The Pacific Northwest is the only area of the entire country I have never visited, and I'm dying to! It looks so beautiful in pictures. Your view sounds wonderful!

    Being a librarian sounds like so much fun!! I enjoyed working in my school libraries in Jr High and college.

    Thanks!

    Sue
    www.greatbooksforkidsandteens.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, thanks for the kind comments. I don't think there is anywhere more beautiful than the Puget Sound region in the summer when the sun is out, like today. Last year my husband and I drove to the Olympic Peninsula (Bremerton) and took a ferry to Seattle. The boat came around a bend in the Sound and there was Mt. Rainier, the Seattle skyline, the blue water. It was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy to discover that it is not only YA lit which we have similar taste in - but we're also both Janites! jane austen was my first love (ok, it was technically mr. knightley) and for me, she's set the bar for all romantic-type books. that may be why i'm so critical in many of my YA/romancy reviews.

    anyway...thanks for the call-out and the 7 facts. i am intrigued by this "the sky is everywhere" book and have added it to my TBR list.

    au revoir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you for passing this award on to me. Lovely! So sweet of you. Keep it shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the award Anne!

    More power to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again, Anne -

    Just wanted to let you know I've posted the award you gave me - thanks! you can check it out at:

    http://greatbooksforkidsandteens.blogspot.com/2010/08/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.