"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top Ten Literary Heroines

The Broke and Bookish
My top ten literary heroines:
1.  Scout - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2.  Lucy- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
3.  Anne Elliot- Persuasion by Jane Austen
4.  Katniss Everdeen- Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
5.  Flavia du Luce- Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
6.  Viola- Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness
7.  Katsa- Graceling by Kristen Cashore
8.  Elizabeth Bennet -Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
9.  Jo March- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
10. Taylor Greer- Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver

Runner-ups:
Miranda- When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Bea- How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford
Fire- Fire by Kristen Cashore
Elinor Dashwood- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Melinda - Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
All the females in Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

10 comments:

  1. Some great choices here! Elinor Dashwood made my list, and I did consider Elizabeth as well (although I thought she'd be quite a popular choice so I went with Elinor, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Katniss, Jo and Elizabeth on my list! Still need to read Persuasion! I agree with you on Taylor from The Bean Trees. I never read Pigs in Heaven but I thought she was a tough cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think of Lucy from Narnia until after I'd made my list and gone looking at others. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my list: (not in any particular or significant order)
    1. Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables)
    2. Laura Ingells (Little House on the Prairie)
    3. Gemma Doyle (A Great and Terrible Beauty)
    4. Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)
    5. Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)
    6. Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
    7. Clary Fray/Fairchild (Mortal Instruments)
    8. Ella of Frell (Ella Enchanted)
    9. Professor McGonigall (Harry Potter)
    Tie 10. Lilly (Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse)
    Tie 10. Jillian Jiggs (Jillian Jiggs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. forgot about Opal from Because of Winn Dixie...I think she would bump Ella Enchanted, although Ella Enchanted was the book I read the most in Elementary School.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Lucy is a great pick! I'm finishing up my undergrad right now (which is vocal performance). I'll start my MLIS next fall. I think I want to focus in management and administration. We'll see if I change my mind once I start the classes next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list!! I should really read the Narnia series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was hard for me to come up with my list. I think it's because I read so many books where women are trying to be strong and fail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of the books on your list, which probably explain why I had so much trouble with this exercise.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.