"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Booking through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday
The meme of reading question(s) of the week :
1. Favorite childhood book?
A Wrinkle in Time by L'Engle
2. What are you reading right now?
The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness and The Plot Against America by Philip Roth
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Mockingjay (audio version)
4. Bad book habit?
None.  I’m a librarian!
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
I have over 16 books checked out from my library for the summer. From the Public Library I have four audio books out right now.
6. Do you have an e-reader?
No. I almost always get my books from a library!
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I always have at least two going at once, often more.  I always have an audio book going in the car.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Yes, I pay attention to favorite quotes or facts I want to include in the reviews as I read.
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Rosewater and Soda Bread by Marsha Mehran
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Often and my comfort zone is enlarging every year.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Realistic fiction; historical fiction, Fantasy, Mystery, memoirs, non-fiction, etc.
13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes, if I’m facing forward
14. Favorite place to read?
The hammock in the backyard or bed.
15. What is your policy on book lending?
Only to family and only if I don’t care if I get it back or not.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Never.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Yes, sometimes if I own the book
18.  Not even with text books?
See above
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English.
20. What makes you love a book?
Vivid descriptions, full characters, well-written, poetic language
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
I recommend books for a job, so I find myself having to recommend books that I haven’t read or read and didn’t like.  I know how to stay neutral or to gush depending on the situation.
22. Favorite genre?
Realistic YA fiction
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Science Fiction
24. Favorite biography?
Dreams of My Father by Obama
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Lots.
26. Favorite cookbook?
Taste of Oregon Cookbook
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Fransisco X. Stork (fiction)
28. Favorite reading snack? 
Pretzels
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Eat, Pray, Love...Everyone was raving about it but I didn't care for it and didn't finish it.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Hum.  Not sure.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I really struggle with adding bad/negative reviews to my blog.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
French
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Moby Dick by Melville
35. Favorite Poet?
Maya Angelou
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
4-5
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Quite often
38. Favorite fictional character?
Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird
39. Favorite fictional villain?
Snape in Harry Potter.
40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Not hardbound books, all others are fair game
41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
A week?
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Blind Assassins by Atwood; Saturday by McEwan
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
TV
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Schindler’s List by Kennelly; Stardust by Gaiman; Holes by Sachar
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Eragon
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
$300+
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Hardly ever.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Bored, tedious, offensive, too difficult subject, too juvenile
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
at work-yes; at home-no
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
It depends on if I think I might want to reread it.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray...I want to read it, I just can never find the time
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (not the book, the subject matter)
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Monstrumologist by Yancey
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Water for Elephants
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Janet Evanovich books
 

2 comments:

  1. I liked Blind Assassin but hated Eat,Pray, Love. A disappointing read. I'm glad you would like to be able to read in French; it's a beautiful language! I'm a Snape fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, I thought you might want to pull the questions for this post and put them on your blog. I can't ever remember the name of your blog. I'm a rotten friend. One more time, please?

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.