"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, September 15, 2022

Review and quotes: WOKE: A YOUNG POET'S CALL TO JUSTICE


Title:
Woke: A Young Poet's Call to Justice by Mahogany L. Browne, Elisabeth Acevedo, Olivia Gatwood

Book Beginnings sample:

The poetry in the book is mainly by the three authors listed above but I think this poem was written by author Jason Reynolds who also wrote the book's forward.

Friday56 sample (page 54, last page of book):

The last poem in this children's book is titled "Woke". It has become a hot-button word recently with some people weaponizing it and making it seem like a negative word. It is not negative to expect justice for every person in the USA and world.

Summary: Woke: A Young Poet's Guide to Justice is a collection of poems to inspire kids to stay woke and become a new generation of activists. (Publisher). Poets Mahogany L. Browne, Elisabeth Acevedo, Olivia Gatwood write a collection of poems addressing all kinds of issues related to justice, racism, activism, and becoming "woke."

Review: As with most poetry collections I found many that I adored and actually found myself rereading them, even some out loud. Others didn't speak to me as profoundly, but I recognized the importance of their place in the collection. The book was published for children and is beautifully/wildly illustrated by Theodore Taylor III. I would say that the target audience is ages 8-12. If you are an Elementary librarian or a parent of a child/children in that age range, I wish you'd find a copy of this book and see if I am correct about the age range target. Let me know. Nevertheless, I enjoyed and was challenged by this collection and recommend it to you.

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from current book.
Th
e Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56 to share. 

Visit these two websites to participate. Click on links to read quotes from books other people are reading. It is a great way to make blog friends and to get suggestions for new reading material.  

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.