"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, March 22, 2021

TTT: Funny titles of books I've read and enjoyed


Top Ten Tuesday: Funny Book Titles

I completed a similar list in 2011 but decided, after taking a look at it, that it was due for an update. Here is the old one if you want to take a peek: TTT: Hilarious Book Titles, 2011

As with almost all the lists I create, I only add books I've actually read and liked.

What are your favorite funny book titles? Be sure to leave a comment below.


1. Plasticus Maritimus:  An Invasive Species by Ana Pego. The book is about a serious topic: plastic pollution in the ocean, but the author, who is a biologist, made up the name of the plastic problem which I think is both funny and genius.

2. Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. You know him as the host of the Daily Show With Trevor Noah on Comedy Central. The title is funny enough to be intriguing. How can a birth be a crime?

3. Dancing At the Pity Party: A Dead Mom Graphic Memoir by Tyler Feder. The book is about death but the author clearly has a sense of humor and it comes out in the graphic memoir. I laughed through my tears as I read it.

4. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams. The second book in the hilarious Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Everything about it, including the title, is funny.

5. They Lost Their Heads!: What Happened to Washington's Teeth, Einstein's Brain, and Other Famous Body Parts by Carlyn Beccia. This is one of those fun and odd books that is perfect for middle grade students and immature adults like me. I loved it and found many of the stories very humorous.

Now let me pause before I go on. Did you notice something about the top five books on my list? Four of them are nonfiction. Take that list-makers! I can think of funny nonfiction book titles!


6. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. I like the name it just rolls off the tongue.

7. The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. The book is just as zany as the title.

8. Sad Animal Facts by Brooke Barker. Funny title and odd little book. I actually think about some of the "facts" inside it because I disagree with a few.

9. Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley. I think I picked the book based on the title alone.

10. God Got a Dog by Cynthia Rylant. The premise: God comes down to earth and lives among us and he adores dogs!

Your turn. What are some of your favorite funny titles?

-Anne

13 comments:

  1. I love a good quirky title. :) Mr. Penumbra's was a good read. The restaurant at the End of the Universe is a favorite as well, even though I've nevr read it. It's just so evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved The Hundred Year Old Man book. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crazy about titles that stop me in my tracks and urge me to read their contents. Excellent list. I especially like it that you enjoyed all of these. Bonus points for finding funny nonfiction titles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Born a Crime was such a good read.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-funny-book-titles/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very confused why Lily and The Octopus has a dog on the cover, is Lily a dog? What does a dog have to do with an octopus?
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/03/23/top-ten-tuesday-308/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lily is a dog. The octopus is the villain of the story.

      Delete
  6. Love these! Especially Dancing at the Pity Party: A Dead Mom Graphic Memoir. Who can resist a title like that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lily and the Octopus is a great title for a fantastic book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great titles. No funny titles come to mind right now, but I am looking forward to seeing all the TTT lists that people put together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might have to try They Lost Their Heads! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't know I've heard of any of these, but some of them do make me smile. :) Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Anne.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.