Top Ten Tuesday: Uplifting books
In these tough times we all need help finding ways to cope. Mine all include uplifting books, movies, poems, and inspirational words-to-live by. Here are a few of my suggestions:
1. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery...The Little Prince speaks to our better selves and encourages us to be loving and kind.
2. Cicada by Shaun Tan---Cicada works and works and isn't appreciated but in the end he has the last laugh. This illustrated story is a quick and hilarious book which will make you laugh every time you think of it.
3. God Got a Dog by Cynthia Rylant---Imagine what God would do and feel if he came down to earth. These poems all center around this theme and all of them, every single one, make me smile.
4. Playlist: Rebels and Revolutionaries of Sound by James Rhodes---Cue up the Spotify playlist designed to be played while you read this book by a classical pianist about his muses: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, and several others. Allow the music to lift your spirit to a new plain.
5. The President Sang Amazing Grace: A Book About Finding Grace After Unspeakable Tragedy by Zoe Mulford. After you are done crying you will feel so much better. Plus it reminds you that there is good in the world if you look.
6. The Walk by Richard Paul Evans---The man loses everything. EVERYTHING. So he decides to walk and on his walk he begins to find himself. The message is very uplifting in the end.
7. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman---An old curmudgeon finds solace in friendships. His evolution as a human is inspiring.
8. Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers by Anne Lamott---anything by Lamott lifts my soul and helps me keep things in correct perspective.
9. Devotions: Selected Poems of Mary Oliver---If I need serious uplifting, I reach for Mary Oliver poetry. They are always about nature and being at peace with one's self.
10. The Holy Bible---My soul must be fed and sometimes only the word of God will fit that need.