"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, March 11, 2019

TTT: Books in a series that work fine as standalones

Top Ten Tuesday: Books in a series that work fine as a standalone. (A twist on the theme of standalone books which need a sequel.)

1. The Giver by Lois Lowry---It is the first book of a four book series, but I think most people read it as a standalone and it is perfect the way it is.

2. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card---I didn't even know how convoluted the Ender's Game series was until I looked at this diagram on Wikipedia. I liked the book but felt no need to read on.

3. Thick As Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner---Is the fourth or fifth book in Queen's Thief series but it works well as a standalone...I should know. I read it and none of the previous books.

4. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott---Actually the book we know as Little Women was originally published as two books. But put that aside, it doesn't need the sequels to be a classic.

5. Unwind by Neal Shusterman---honestly I haven't read any of the other books in the Unwind Dystology, yet I liked the way the first book ended and had no need to read on.

6. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta---the first book of the Lumatere series. I had no need to read on, though many of my students enjoyed the whole series.

7. Graceling by Kristin Cashore---Now I imagine I'll get some push back on this choice because Fire, the prequel, is so excellent, too. But I would have been happy with just the first book, even though I read on.

8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams---I love, love this book but have never read on...which doesn't mean I wouldn't love the sequels.

9. Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding---I read this book years ago and thought it was just fun, not even realizing it was a retelling of Pride and Prejudice.

10. Whistling Season by Ivan Doig--- This book is part of a trilogy, which my husband tells me if very good, but I stopped after the first book. Whistling Season is one of my favorite books ever. I've reread it several times.



20 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about The Giver. I did end up reading the whole series and it would be fine just as a standalone. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Hitchhiker's Guide! I started it once and never finished, but I LOVE the idea of it. I need to revisit it this year, and then probably yeah the sequels too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the sequels to Giver. I didn't see that they were really traditional sequels, as they were almost complete in themselves.

    I'm not a fan of sequels. Stop while you are ahead, authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whilst I totally agree that the first Unwind book stands well on it's own, I really love the series as a whole, and the final book had a really satisfying ending, so I'm quite glad that it was a series, because I loved getting to have more time in that world.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/12/top-ten-tuesday-202/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Originally, I really wanted a sequel to The Giver. After reading the sequels, though, I agree that it works better as a standalone story.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the twist that you have given to the topic! I totally agree with Graceling, especially because Fire and Bitterblue aren't exactly sequels, they are more companion novels. It is defintely a strange but loveable series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Finikkin was originally a standalone. I probably would have stopped at this one, but everyone praises the next two books,so eventually I plan to get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with the books you've chosen to read as stand alones. I sometimes feel the need to do a series means a book I absolutely love becomes a series I don't love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, those are a lot of Ender books. I've read three of them, but I had no idea there were so many more. I like your take on this week's topic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really wish The Giver and Bridgett Jones's Diary had just been left as standalones. The follow ups took the shine off a little bit.
    Dani @ The Restricted Section

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice twist on your list. I agree. Bridget Jones would have been better as a standalone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read a few of these and I 100% agree with them. The Giver, Unwind, and Little Women.

    Ash @ JennRenee Read

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many twists on the theme this week! I still need to read Hitchhiker's Guide! I think I borrowed the collection from the library in high school but I didn't wind up... actually reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your twist on the theme Anne!

    Here is my TTT-https://paigesofbook.blogspot.com/2019/03/top-eight-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your take on this! I agree about The Giver...anytime I think about picking up the sequels I don't know what they'd add to the story and I don't see the point

    ReplyDelete
  16. Finnikin of the Rock would have been just fine by itself, but I did enjoy the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great to know about The Giver. I own that one, but haven't read it because I didn't want to get sucked into another series!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't NOT read a Neal Shusterman book, so I read the whole series and it was really good! Though I absolutely agree that Unwind CAN be read as a standalone! The Giver too- I haven't yet gotten to any of the others, though I'd like to some day I think!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the "Whistling Season" and didn't realize it was part of a series. What a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't remember a lot about The Give but it seems like it'd be fine alone. The story feels complete by the book's end, and sometimes that's the best kind of novel (otherwise, series sometimes go on a little too long :D). Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Anne.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.