"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Sunday Salon---March 10th

Ian in his toy box.
Weather: Gorgeous. Sunny with blue skies. Children were outside playing which is so weird since it snowed early in the week.

Yard work: Last weekend  Don and I braved the cold windy weather and deadheaded and pruned the hydrangea bushes...no easy task since our bushes are so huge. This weekend we pruned the Japanese willow tree which is next to our deck and was growing too large for the space. The contrast in the weather couldn't have been sharper. I even took off my jacket, working in a t-shirt. Don also drained the hot tub and cleaned it out. After our work today we had a nice soak.

The Wisdom of Ian: Try new things and delight in them. Throw your head back while swinging and marvel at the sky.

Join me in a reading challenge: 'My Own Books' reading challenge will give you the opportunity to read books on your own shelves. Please follow the link for the details and to sign up.


Lent: This year for Lent I am doing two things. 1) Read the daily devotional designed for the season of preparation, and  2) Use less plastic. I know I won't be perfect. In fact, the very first day, at the church sponsored soup dinner, I used a plastic spoon. But I figure if I and everyone uses one less plastic thing a day, we can make a significant difference. See the photo above for some of the tools I will use to reduce my addiction to plastic:
a. wax-covered clothes to cover food in the fridge
b. wax paper instead of plastic wrap
c. a hard plastic cup that I can reuse every time I order a venti cold drink at Starbucks (which is pretty often) 
d. a metal straw 
e. chopsticks which I wash and reuse
f. glass containers for leftovers, a reusable plastic lid
g. flexible, reusable plastic covers for leftovers
h. aluminum cans instead of plastic bottles, or the obvious, of course, my own water bottle (not shown)
i. silverware,  I plan on keeping a set in car for emergencies
Not shown: recyclable shopping bags, silicone lid covers

Ideas: Help me out. Can you think of other things I can do?
Join me!

Today in church: God called me through a song. The first four verses of the song "The Summons" by Iona Community, are God calling his people. The sixth verse is man answering God's call. Below are verses four and five:
(God asks: )
Will you love the "you" you hide
If I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside
And never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found
To reshape the world around,
Through my sight and touch and sound
In you and you in me?
(Mankind answers: )
Lord, your summons echoes true
When you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you
And never be the same.
In your company I'll go
Where your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow
In you and you in me.


Feel good story: Honeys and Bears, a senior synchronized swim team in Harlam. Watch it. It is only 1.45 min.

Books: 

  • I finished one book this week---Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver. Audiobook read by the author. The book has settled well in my brain. It gave me a lot to think about concerning both climate change and politics. 
  • Currently reading: Great House by Nicole Krauss---print, 69%, reading as part of my own challenge to read National Book Award titles. 
  • Currently listening: The Heart is a Muscle the Size of a Fist by Sunil Yapa---audio, 6%, a book club selection.


11 comments:

  1. Good luck with your reading challenge! Looks like fun. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that this Lenten season is going to be a time of great work and transformation for you. I'm focusing on love, and, to help, I'm reading Everyone Always, which was recommended to me this week.

    I admire your focus on reducing the use of plastic. I need to start with a reusable water bottle. That would be a good place for me to begin.

    I'm glad you finished Unsheltered and that it gave you a lot to think about. I felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using less plastic is a great idea. I really need to start taking my own bags to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great House looks intriguing.

    Ian has the right idea for finding joy. Have a great week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to do the My Own Books challenge. That kind of fits in with the reduce reuse recycle idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome ideas to help use less plastic. I might have to joint he My Own Books Challenge. I have so many!

    Ash @ JennRenee Read

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using less plastic is a good one. I heard a story about it on NPR this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You amaze and impress me with your challenges. My goal is to read all our Book Club books, and to also find interesting reads in other genres like mystery, sci-fi, fantasy and YA. Your blog has helped me a lot with that quest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again for inviting me to join your reading challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.