"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

TTT: Books I Won't Reread Because the Magic Might Fade

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Won't Reread Because the Magic Might Fade
I rarely reread books anyway but these books all hold a magical spot in my head and I am afraid that a reread would render them magic-less.



1. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
I loved this book and the whole experience of it. At 771 pages, it is an unlikely reread anyway.

2. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
This book is almost mythical in my memory. Not sure if I would want to dispel it.

3. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
The writing is beautiful and lyrical, even if the topic is depraved. I will let this one live in my mind in a happy place by not rereading it.

4. Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
I love, love, love this book...or at least I think I do. What if I reread it and didn't love it anymore?

5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Actually I did reread this book and it shattered my happy, childish memory of it. Proving my point about rereads!

6. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
I love the author and his writing but this book is too disturbing to reread.




14 comments:

  1. I don't tend to re-read books and one of the reasons is that I am afraid it won't be as wonderful the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time one reads a book, there is the joy of seeing it unfold. On a re-read, we can sometimes pick up on things we missed the first time around, but the wonder of discovery is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cold Sassy Tree definitely lost some of the magic for me when I reread it. I had forgotten how much of it was about Will being a teenage boy. Keep your good memories of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew. Dodged the bullet on that one. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  4. This is why I've been debating about rereading A Wrinkle in Time and watching the new adaptation of it. I did reread Simon vs the Homosapien Agenda because I was in a reading funk and I loved it a bit more the second time around. It also helped me out of the slump too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I loved Wrinkle in Time but don't think I will reread it. My daughter is, however. I will have to ask her what she thinks of it.

      Delete
  5. Little women! We may be burned at the stake for agreeing on that one. While I loved it and will watch the movie versions, I don't think I'll ever touch the book again. And Kite Runner ugh. While it was good, it's honestly one that I wish I could unread. Some mental images that won't get out of my brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how preachy Little Women came across to me when I read it as an adult. i didn't notice it as a child.

      Delete
  6. Aw, I enjoyed Little Women during a reread! A shame it didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually would like to reread The God of Small Things because I don't think I really appreciated it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel you - some books I wouldn't want to ruin my memories of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have certain books too that I'm afraid to re- read, for that very reason. There's nothing worse than revisiting an old favorite and having the experience tarnish those awesome memories! So yeah... I haven't read any of these but your remark there about Little women- yup that's the problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes. That's one of my great fears of re-reading. Especially if it's been years because what if I've changed so much as a reader it's no longer a favorite. Ah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think fearing the loss of the original magic I felt when first reading a book is the reason I haven't read some of my childhood favorites--even though I'd someday like to. I tell myself it's because I'm waiting for my daughter to be old enough so we can experience them together, but I think that's just an excuse. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.