"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 16, 2018

TTT: My favorite books from each of the past ten years

Top Ten Tuesday: Today is free choice so I decided to list my favorite book from each of the past ten years. Making up my own rules: I read these books during the year listed, they weren't necessarily published that year.

2018 (so far)
Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
I just finished listening to the audiobook last night so it is quite fresh in my mind. The story is devastating but the writing is phenomenal. (Pub. 2017)

2017
The One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood
Right up my alley: quirky, funny, poignant, sad, hopeful, and tremendously satisfying.  (Pub. 2016)

2016
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
I was blown away by this Pulitzer Prize winning novel about a DR-American guy who is a complete misfit until he goes home to the Dominican Republic (Pub. 2007)

2015
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doer
This is one of those books that I think about all the time. The writing was just spectacular. (Pub. 2014)

2014
Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya
This coming-of-age tale is so magical. I just love it. (Pub. 1972)

2013
The Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The most delightful, off-beat cast of characters one ever hopes to meet. This is especially good in the audio format. (Pub. 1980)

2012
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
Something about this book really struck a chord within me. It was a tough but rewarding read. (Pub. 2006)

2011
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
I am jealous of people who haven't read this book yet because when they do they will get to experience it for the first time themselves. What a funny, funny book, especially in the audio format. (Pub. 1979)

2010
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth
This may not have been my favorite book if you had asked me in 2010, but looking back I think about this book ALL the time. It has really made a big impression on me. (Pub. 2004)

2009
Couch by Benjamin Parzybok
Lord of the Rings except instead of a ring, there is a couch. It is so funny. (Pub. 2008)
(This might not be my favorite book of 2009, but it my favorite from among the few I listed on Goodreads for that year, the first year I kept track on the site.)

Note: When making retrospective lists like this I am aware that this list is a refection in part of how I am feeling today. If I made this list tomorrow likely it would contain different books.

19 comments:

  1. Love what you did with this week's topic. I've been meaning to get to Oscar Wao for ages. Must find time this year to do so. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you point out that our lists could change depending on the day. I often look back over my 5/5 books and wonder if they were really that good, but I must have felt it at the time and that's what matters. I have got to read "All the Light We Cannot See!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful idea for a post, Anne! :-) I really need to read All The Light We Cannot See. It's been on my radar for so long now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice topic. The Hitchhiker's Guide I've never read! Audio probably would be an awesome way to go !

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool list idea! I'm loving seeing everyone's ideas for the freebie week and this is a very cool one. Sing, Unburied, Sing is very high on my TBR, as is Hitchhiker's Guide, which I'm reading next month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see 'Light' on SO many bookworm lists. Despite the familiarity (the cover and title), I don't think it's one I've taken a closer look at. Perhaps I'll have to remedy that since it seems to be so well loved. :)

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your idea for this post. I hope this one will be stolen and we can all share.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/04/philosophyish-books-gulp-you-havent.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a diverse list, with many titles I haven't seen before. Off to take a closer look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've read some good books. I agree that All the Light We Cannot See was special with such memorable characters. It's one of those stories that never leaves you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your approach to this week's topic! I haven't read any of these, but I'd like to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of these, but All the Light We Cannot See has been on my TBR forever! Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about A Confederacy of Dunces, so I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fun topic idea! I'll have to keep it in mind for some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is a wonderful topic! I love it :) And now I'm adding even more books to my TBR - thanks :P

    https://www.hungry-bookworm.com/2018/04/17/top-ten-tuesday-book-palate-cleansers/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your idea for today's prompt. I haven't read any of these and in fact haven't heard about many of these. But Sing, Unburied, Sing is definitely on my TBR. I have heard amazing things about this book and can't wait to read it.

    My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/04/ten-beautiful-libraries-i-want-to-visit/

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a wonderful job coming up with a unique, interesting topic!! I definitely couldn't have done this since my memory is crap lol. I read All the Light We Cannot See two years ago and loved it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I bet The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be awesome on audio! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy!! Great post!!
    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/04/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-book-covers.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that Couch made your list! I hated the idea of reading that book, but it grew on me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.