"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Sunday Salon, July 17

Space Needle as seen through the conservatory of the Chihuly Glass Garden. Photo by Anne B. Rights reserved.
Weather: Partly sunny. Temperature very comfortable, mid 70s.

Visit by friends from Australia: Our friends Claire and Rob from Melbourne visited our area this week. The weather wasn't fantastic but we were able to show off Washington State a bit:  Ruston Way, Pt. Defiance Park, and the glass bridge in Tacoma; a ride on a Washington State ferry from Bremerton to Seattle, Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, Space Needle, Chihuly Glass Garden, Pacific Science Center, and a ride on the monorail. We also visited the REI flagship store in Seattle, the men played a round of golf at High Cedars, and high tea for the gals. We crammed a lot of fun into a few days! Thanks for the visit, Claire and Rob!

The rugged Rugosa rose: Don and I spent hours yesterday digging up and cutting down our prolific/invasive rose which was taking over the back corner of our lot. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT plant one of these roses in your yard unless you are the wicked queen in Sleeping Beauty and you want to build a barrier so princes can't make their way into the castle where she sleeps! I am not kidding. The thorns on this rose are completely wicked.

Amazing golf: I admit it. I watched the British Open on TV with Don. If you missed it, It was amazing. Stenson won the thing with a -20 strokes, a record.

Books read this week:

  • The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen---based on a real person, a freed slave who spied for the Union in the Gray House, home of the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis. This is for book club this week. It should be fodder for a good discussion.
Currently reading: 

  • Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen---I suspect it will takes me months to finish this classic. But I want to read it as I am still engulfed in my Kenya phase. No progress this week.
  • The Splendid Outcast: Eight Africa Stories by Beryl Markham---I found this gem at a used book shop. Also part of my Kenya phase, or should I say, craze? Progress: one story, 10%.
  • Places Like No Other by Brenna Yovanoff---a YA selection. Not far enough into it to make much of a report. Progress: 26%.
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson---an audiobook read by the author. This is for an upcoming book club session. Don and I have been laughing our way through it. Progress: 15%.
Summer Reading Goal, mid-way point: Every summer I attempt to read 30+ books. It is the mid-way point (between Memorial Day and Labor Day) and I've read 14 books. I'm nearly at my mid-goal. Yay!

Claire and Rob admire the Chihuly glass exhibit on the Glass Bridge in Tacoma



8 comments:

  1. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate. The same thing happened when our Australian friends visited. They didn't get a single view of Mount Rainier. Grrr. I'm hoping for a great discussion at BC!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mountain showed up for a few hours on Thursday yet the clouds and haze didn't offer a great look for them. Weird weather.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Sounds like a great sight seeing visit! That glass looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a better wife than I am, Anne. I can't stand to watch gold on TV! Boring as watching paint dry - lol My husband watched it all weekend, though.

    Sounds like a wonderful time showing your friends around - I so want to visit Washington. Watch out - I may show up for your tour one day ;)

    I would love to read Out of Africa. I am doing horribly on my Classics Challenge so far this year - it's July and I've only read 1 so far (60 pages! lol)

    Oh, I bet The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid is great on audio!! Does Bryson read it himself? My husband and I both read the book and loved it - I think it is his best.

    Have a great week & enjoy your books!

    Sue

    2016 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I would be honored to host you for your first visit to the Pac NW. Come any time but I recommend spring or summer. Winters here can be pretty dreary. I'd love to meet you in person.

      Golf. Yes I was a skeptic but this particular match was so good. The golf was spectacular. I couldn't help myself from watching.

      Delete
  4. You've had a busy week! But it sounds like tons of fun :). I've never been to Washington State. It's on my bucket list though. I want to visit Puget Sound and watch the orcas (they're my favorite sea creature). I also love how diverse you are with your reading! Hopefully I will grow into that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was busy running around so I didn't get a chance to read much. Washington State, tucked over in our northwest corner of the country certainly has many unexpected delights, many of them having to do with nature. I've only seen Orcas two or three times in the wild. They are in the Puget Sound but not always in easy spots to find.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.