Unusual character names that I like or find intriguing:
1. Zaphod Beeblebrox...from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe. This name just rolls off the tongue, don't you think?
2. Slartibartfast...from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe. I laugh whenever I hear this name. Say it fast, I dare you.
3. Humbert Humbert...from Lolita. The pathetic pedophile with such a distinctive literary voice.
4. Lolita...from Lolita. Say it this way: Low-Lee-TAH
5. Huckleberry Finn...from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Can you imagine naming your child Huckleberry? It is certainly memorable.
6. Jeremy Johnson Johnson...from Far Far Away by Tom McNeal. Throughout the whole book this character is called by his whole name, not just Jeremy. It was always Jeremy Johnson Johnson.
7. A whole bunch of characters from the Harry Potter books: Harry Potter; Fleur Delacour; Albus Dumbledore; Dudley Dursley; Cornelius Fudge; Neville Longbottom; Luna Lovegood; Severus Snape; Hermione Granger; Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank to name a few.
8. Winnie-the-Pooh...from Winnie the Pooh and The House on Pooh Corner. Isn't this name just darling?
9. Mary Poppins...in the book by P.L. Travers. Practically-perfect-in-every-way!
10. Katniss Everdeen...from The Hunger Games series. I rarely remember character names but this one has stuck.
11. Quasimodo...in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Authors should work harder to create memorable names like this one.
12. Jean Valjean...in Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. I love both the musical AND the book, which I have read.
13. Atticus Finch...in To Kill a Mockingbird. I don't know about you, but if I was in trouble and needed a lawyer, I'd want someone with a name like Atticus Finch representing me.