"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 7, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday...Best and Worst Endings to Sequels

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the gals over at Broke and Bookish.  Thanks for visiting their site and sharing your love! Today's topic: Top Ten Best and Worst Endings to Sequels. True confessions here: I rarely finish series so I have very few examples of either the best or worst endings, most I don't know if the endings are any good or not.

Best series enders:
1. Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling...parts were a bit slow but it wrapped up the whole, wonderful series nicely.
2. The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis...the last book in The Chronicles of Narnia series. I just reread it this summer and find myself sighing when I think about it.
3. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini...the ending of the Eragon (Inheritance Cycle) series. It was such a commitment to finish this series. It really helped me say good-bye to Eragon and Saphira.
4. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater...the third book in The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. I'm a huge Stiefvater fan. I found my way to this series after reading her stand alone hit, Scorpio Races.
5. Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness...the final installment of the Chaos Walking trilogy. The series is so different than others I've read. I liked it a lot.
6. Front and Center by Catherine Gilbert Murdock, the final Dairy Queen book. I was charmed by this whole series.
7. Abhorsen by Garth Nix, the wonderful conclusion to the Abhorsen trilogy (Sabriel). Love it!

Worst series enders:
1. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins...the finale to the wonderful Hunger Games trilogy. The book wasn't awful it just didn't satisfy or excite the way the other two books in the series did.
2. The Death Cure by James Dashner...#3 in the Maze Runner series. There is a prequel, The Kill Order, which I haven't read but that was, in part, because I didn't think much of The Death Cure. I actually thought the very ending of this book was perfect but didn't like most of the details that got me there.
3. Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle...the fourth book in A Wrinkle in Time series. I read this as a kid and then reread it to children when they were young. I am such a huge fan of A Wrinkle in Time, I should have stopped while I was ahead.

A few series that I want to finish but either the last book(s) hasn't been published yet, or I haven't got it yet:
-Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor-waiting for book #3.
-Divergent series by Veronica Roth-waiting for book #3 which comes out this month.
-The Raven Cycle Trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater-I just received the 2nd book but haven't had time to read it yet.
-The Graceling series by Kristin Cashore. I still need to read Bitterblue.



7 comments:

  1. Im just not sure about mockingjay. i loved the hunger games trilogy so maybe thats why i have a hard time admitting the ending wasnt that great.
    here is my TTT http://caitstruelife.wordpress.com/2013/10/07/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-bestworst-series-enders/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mockingjay fell somewhere in-between best and worst for me. I just thought it was okay. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get so excited everytime I see Mockingjay on someones worst list! Makes me feel like I am not a minority!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked/didn't like the HP epilogue. I'm not a huge fan of that device. I wanted to get through the Patrick Ness series but didn't make it. I lost steam in the 3rd book and couldn't finish it. Maybe some day! I can't wait for the next Laini Taylor and Kristin Cashore. (Bitterblue wasn't my favorite though)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list! I see we both have Abhorsen & the last Harry Potter on our 'best' list - and Mockingjay on our worst! Funny how you can feel so differently about a story depending on the ending, isn't it? Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you about Mockingjay! I was disappointed, but I should read it again to see what I think of it a second time through. Actually, I found Mockingjay confusing all around

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not include the Harry Potter ending on my best list. While I liked the way the main story line wrapped up with a great finish, the epilogue left much to be desired. I wished she would have left it off entirely or written a book 8 to truly give the reader a good idea of what each character was up to in the future. I'm excited that she is writing a screenplay also set in the Wizarding world following Newt Scamander's adventures in writing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.