"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Review: The Death Cure


My. My. My.

The Death Cure by James Dashner is the final book in the Maze Runner trilogy and, as I said in an earlier blog post, I had a really tough time getting any traction reading it. After devouring both of its predecessors I could barely make myself read more than a few pages per sitting. That is until I reached the last 50 pages and then I tore through it at break-neck speed. Right up to the epilogue I had no idea how things were going to work out.  And there was that pesky book title: "The Death Cure."  Did it mean what I thought it meant? I was pondering this question all the way up to the last chapter.  Talk about stringing the reader along. Ha!

Hmmm.m.m.m.m.

So overall, what did I think of The Death Cure? In a lot of ways I think this book suffered in comparison to the first two books in the trilogy, like Mockingjay wasn't as good as the first two Hunger Games books.  It had moments of brilliance and the ending was powerful but the majority of the book didn't live up to the hype. But that doesn't mean that overall I didn't like it.  In fact, I think the flavorful taste I have in my mouth from the last bite of this book will stay with me longer than my memory of the slowness I experienced at the beginning. If you have read Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials, by all means grab this book and find out how it all works out.

And. And. And.....

The prequel to this series, The Kill Order, is due out in August.  You had better believe that I will be one of the first in line to get it.

Happy reading!


2 comments:

  1. It is so sad when one book in a series is such a let down compared to the others. The last 50 pages being amazing just isn't good enough, is it. However, I will definitely pick up Maze Runner this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like a lot of people are down on this book, but you know what? I thought it was shuckin' awesome! Fast paced, (almost) all of my favorite characters, and finally some resolution regarding WICKED. I had NO IDEA that there was a PREQUEL!!! Best news I've read in a while :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.