"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 24, 2011

"Creepy" books to read at Halloween

Top Ten Tuesday: Hosted at The Broke and Bookish


I don't read many books in the horror genre because I am easily scared by them. But occasionally I end up reading a book that probably wouldn't scare the average reader but it seems to give me the chills.  Here's that list:

1. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
2. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
3. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4. The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
5. Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
6. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
7. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
8. Entwined by Heather Dixon
9. Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick
10. The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe
11. The Legend of Sleep Hollow by Washington Irving
12. Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor

I know, I know.  This list is laughable if anyone is really looking for a good list of horror fiction.  Sorry.  I recognize that most of these tales aren't even classified as horror books/stories.  Oh well.  I enjoyed them and can recommend them with my limited familiarity of this genre.

11 comments:

  1. I added a couple of Poe's stories to my list and agree that the Pit and Pendulum is a great one for this time of year (or any for that matter). Have never read Rebecca, but have seen it on quite a few lists and am adding it to my must read list as a result. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so not a creepy book person! I did read the VC Andrews books when I was young, but haven't read any since then... it scares me too much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, Entwined? Really? I have that book but wasn't under the impression it was creepy! I'll have to check that out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only book I've read on your list is Rebecca. I love that book and it made my list too. It's a classic for a reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting list. I love how each blogger defines horror a little bit differently. I really can't wait to read "Imaginary Girls". Its sounds like a really intense read. I also have "The Monstrumologist" on my mine too, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Coraline on my list too! It is so creepy!

    http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read several of the books on this list, and found them all very creepy. It's hard for a book to make me jump and scream, because I'm reading it. Both Coraline and Rebecca have that great sense of impending disaster that is very creepy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the movie version of The Pit and the Pendulum back in high school and it FREAKED me out. Very worthy of a Halloween list! Rebecca and The Hound are great gothic reads!

    Have a Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truthfully I don't get scared of books, so I went more for books that had me at the edge of my seat "nervous". Salem's Lot scared me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (Crap I just lost my comment!)

    Oh wow Coraline! I forgot about Coraline! It's the only Gaiman book I've read that I liked, and I really liked it!

    I've often wondered about Sleepy Hollow 0 I loved the movie (beautiful cinematography) but I don't know anything about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I totally agree with Graveyard Book and Coraline. Very scary!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.