"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Review: Wesley the Owl: the Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl by Stacey O'Brien

Wesley the Owl: the Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl by Stacey O'Brien is a nonfiction story about a biologist, Stacey O'Brien, and a barn owl, Wesley, that she raises from birth. just like the title says it is a remarkable story of love and devotion. Amazingly this love and devotion goes both ways from human to bird and from bird to human.

Please watch the short video which shows footage of Wesley when he was still alive with narration from O'Brien.




I learned a lot about owls from this book, especially barn owls.  Here are a few things I didn't know before:
  • Barn owls exclusively eat mice, anything else is not necessary and might actually cause them to starve to death.
  • Barn owls mate for life and both parents are very active in raising the owletts. Males are smaller than the females.
  • Barn owls are in the tytonidae family while other owls are in the strigidae family. 
  • This page has four different calls that barn owls make. Owl calls
  • Barn Owls are remarkably clean animals and have a sweet odor. They do not defecate in their nests, either.

The book was a fast read, or I read it fast because I skipped around and jumped over parts I wasn't particularly interested in such as what biologists wear to work. I wanted more on the owl and less on biologists. This is a book club selection for next month.  It, no doubt, will generate an interesting discussion. I like reading books where I learn something new and since i knew basically nothing about owls, this book was informative and sweet at the same time.

30 books this Summer Reading Challenge


22 / 30 books. 73% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.