Please watch the short video which shows footage of Wesley when he was still alive with narration from O'Brien.
I learned a lot about owls from this book, especially barn owls. Here are a few things I didn't know before:
- Barn owls exclusively eat mice, anything else is not necessary and might actually cause them to starve to death.
- Barn owls mate for life and both parents are very active in raising the owletts. Males are smaller than the females.
- Barn owls are in the tytonidae family while other owls are in the strigidae family.
- This page has four different calls that barn owls make. Owl calls
- Barn Owls are remarkably clean animals and have a sweet odor. They do not defecate in their nests, either.
The book was a fast read, or I read it fast because I skipped around and jumped over parts I wasn't particularly interested in such as what biologists wear to work. I wanted more on the owl and less on biologists. This is a book club selection for next month. It, no doubt, will generate an interesting discussion. I like reading books where I learn something new and since i knew basically nothing about owls, this book was informative and sweet at the same time.
30 books this Summer Reading Challenge
22 / 30 books. 73% done!