- My goal was to read three hours per day of the readathon, for a total of 21 hours for the week. Some days I didn't even manage three hours but my daily average was 3.5 hours for a total of 25 reading hours.
- I completed three books: The Silence of Murder by Mackell, Unbroken by Hillenbrand, and Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Medina.
- In addition, I started two other books. I am 3/4 of the way through The Tragedy Paper by LeBan, an audiobook. I am 1/3rd through Darius and Twig by Myers even though I just started it last night.
- Did I do anything differently this past week than my usual week of reading? Yes and No. Typically I can finish three books in one week, especially if I am not working and have time to sit and read for long periods of time. So the number of books I completed is not unusual. However, I did complete one whole audiobook and 3/4 of another one. That is unusual. On the back of the audiobook case it usually says how long it takes to listen to the book. If you compared reading time to listening time, it takes much longer to listen to a book. By listening to these two books rather than reading them I didn't have as much time to read something else which decrease my book number count.
- What I enjoyed about the Bout of Books Readathon was the daily accounting of my reading. This accountability piece kept me going because I knew I would have to report what I read publicly and vanity kept me from being too big of a slacker.
August 19- Read The Silence of Murder for a total of 1 1/2 hours. Downloaded the audiobook the Tragedy Paper from the public library but did not start listening. Reading total: 1 1/2 hours. Daily goal not met.
August 20-Read The Silence of Murder for 15 minutes. Listened to approximately 2 hours of Unbroken. Had a day-long class and book club in the evening. We discussed Half-Broke Horses. Reading total: 2 1/4 hours. Daily goal not met.
August 21- Finished The Silence of Murder in one hour. Listened to 5 1/2 hours of Unbroken (2 1/2 hrs. while I worked at school getting library ready to open, 1 hr. while I drove to and fro, 2 hrs. sitting on the couch listening.) I'm on disc 7 of 11. This is the BEST audiobook I've listened to in ages. Started Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass for 15 minutes. Reading total: 6 3/4 hours. Daily goal exceeded.
August 22- Finished Unbroken after approximately six hours of listening. Look for my review later this week. This book is amazing. Downloaded The Tragedy Paper onto my iPod. Reading total: 6 hours. Daily goal exceeded.
August 23- Started The Tragedy Paper audiobook. Listened to approximately 2 hours. Read Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass while at the beauty salon for approximately 1 hour. Went to the public library and selected two more audiobooks for future listening. Reading total: 3 hours. Daily goal met.
August 24- Listened to another two hours of The Tragedy Paper. I'm currently a little over halfway through the book. Read Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass for at least 1 1/4 hours. I wanted to finish it but bed was calling my name. Reading total: 3 1/4 hours. Daily goal met.
August 25- Finished Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass before I got out of bed (1/2 hour). Listened to an hour of The Tragedy Paper. Started Darius & Twig by Walter Dean Myers. Read for about 45 minutes. Reading total: 2 1/4 hours. Daily goal not met.