"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Bout of Books...End of Summer Readathon

Bout of Books

Call me crazy.  Like I don't have enough to do to get ready for the end of summer and the beginning of a new school year, but today I joined up for a week-long readathon called Bout of Books.  My goal is to read and/or listen to audiobooks for a total of 3 hours every day.  Guess I'd better get off the blog and get reading!

Progress: 
August 19- Read The Silence of Murder for a total of 1 1/2 hours. Downloaded the audiobook the Tragedy Paper from the public library but did not start listening.  Reading total: 1 1/2 hours. Daily goal not met.

August 20-Read The Silence of Murder for 15 minutes. Listened to approximately 2 hours of Unbroken. Had a day-long class and book club in the evening. We discussed Half-Broke Horses. Reading total: 2 1/4 hours. Daily goal not met.

August 21- Finished The Silence of Murder in one hour. Listened to 5 1/2 hours of Unbroken (2 1/2 hrs. while I worked at school getting library ready to open, 1 hr. while I drove to and fro, 2 hrs. sitting on the couch listening.) I'm on disc 7 of 11. This is the BEST audiobook I've listened to in ages. Started Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass for 15 minutes. Reading total: 6 3/4 hours. Daily goal exceeded.

August 22- Finished Unbroken after approximately six hours of listening. Look for my review later this week.  This book is amazing. Downloaded The Tragedy Paper onto my iPod. Reading total: 6 hours. Daily goal exceeded.

August 23- Started The Tragedy Paper audiobook. Listened to approximately 2 hours. Read Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass while at the beauty salon for approximately 1 hour. Went to the public library and selected two more audiobooks for future listening. Reading total: 3 hours. Daily goal met.

August 24- Listened to another two hours of The Tragedy Paper. I'm currently a little over halfway through the book. Read Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass for at least 1 1/4 hours. I wanted to finish it but bed was calling my name. Reading total: 3 1/4 hours. Daily goal met.

August 25- Finished Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass before I got out of bed (1/2 hour). Listened to an hour of The Tragedy Paper. Started Darius and Twig by Walter Dean Myers. Read for about 45 minutes. Reading total: 2 1/4 hours. Daily goal not met.

See my wrap-up here.

7 comments:

  1. Ah, audio books. I really should give them another try. I am easily distracted or fall asleep. Best of luck with your goals.
    -Dilettantish Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! we are just back from vacation this week, and I finally got through the 700 e-mails I had waiting so have a bit of time to check my favorite blogs :)

    Good luck and enjoy the read-a-thon!

    Sue

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I am planning on working on this year with my 3rd graders is silent reading stamina. I realized that this summer, I have been reading for a few minutes, then going off to do something else...I need to work on my OWN stamina! I just have so much to do. :) Good luck with your readathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult for children to settle in for a good read when everything in school is so scripted and when other children are restless. I think stamina is a good word and worthy goal.

      Delete
  4. Is Unbroken by Caine or Morris?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The full name is Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resistance, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.