"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Retropsective Wednesday: Sabriel by Garth Nix



Retrospective Wednesday is a feature at My Head is Full of Books designed to give bloggers a chance to highlight a book that was published in previous years, in the hope that it will cause others to go back and read it. The featured book must have been published one or more years ago.

Sabriel by Garth Nix was originally published in 1995 and it is the first book of the Abhorsen Trilogy (sometimes called the Old Kingdom Trilogy.) It is high fantasy, very imaginative, but also a lot darker than the usual young adult literature fare.

The story begins when Sabriel, who is in her last year of school in Ancelstierre a kingdom very like ours in the early 20th century, receives a message that means her father needs her help in the Old Kingdom. In that kingdom her father was the Abhorsen, or the necromancer responsible for making sure that the dead stayed dead, or that they traveled past the ninth gate and couldn't return to earth again. When Sabriel returns to the Old Kingdom in search of her father she realizes that something is horribly amiss in the kingdom and she realizes that she will have to fight the living dead without him.

Sabriel has been a favorite book of one of my friends, Sandy. She has encouraged me to read it for years. Now that I have I am prepared to push it in my library, even placing it on my Nifty-Fifty cart where I highlight tried and true books making easy access for readers. In addition, I want to encourage you, too, to give this book a try.  I am ready to read Lireal and Abhorsen, books #2 and #3 in the series.
 
20 books in July Reading Challenge




7 / 20 books. 35% done!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this trilogy!!!!!!! Now I want to go reread them for the millionth time!!! Nice selection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of Devon's favorite book series too. I guess I should give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.