|Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Text
|Sheila at Book Journey
- The Vow by Kim and Krickitt Carpenter---the nonfiction account of a love that transcended brain injury and amnesia. A movie was made about their lives.
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein---Young Adult historical fiction. My friend, another teen librarian raves about this book and we are reading it as a potential Mock Printz book.
- Emma by Jane Austen---I confess that I am still plodding along in this book. I did sign up for a Jane Austen challenge which I thought might give me the incentive to finish this book which I am coming to realize I have never actually read before.
I'm listening to:
- Still Alice by Lisa Genova--- this is a book club selection for an upcoming month in the future. It is about Alzheimer's disease. So far so good, though I confess I haven't gotten very far in to the story yet.
What I've recently finished:
- Half-Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls--- called a true-life novel, this book is about the life of Jeannette Walls' grandmother.
- Sabriel by Garth Nix--- the first book in a Abhorsen trilogy. It is a well-written fantasy and I am actually eager to read the next book in the series, Lirael. Look for my review tomorrow in Retrospective Wednesday.
- Zeitoun by Dave Eggers--- a nonfiction account of what happened to one man and his family in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I listened to this on audiobook with my husband. It should be required reading for all Americans.
- The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe--- Salem Witch Trials and a connection to modern times. I also listened to this book with my husband. The writing was very good especially considering all the time shifts. It was never confusing. I enjoyed this book a lot.
- Putting Make-up on the Fat Boy by Bil Wright---a realistic story of a young, gay teenage boy who has a special talent with make-up and fashion. It was spot on. Review later today.
What I hope to read next: Books that we are considering for our Mock Printz event in the school district---
- A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle
- Dying to Know You by Aidan Chambers
- The Difference Between You and Me by Madeleine George
- A Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
What are you reading?