"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Tanka Reviews

Thanks to Lark Writes for giving me the inspiration to write short, poetic book reviews. Hers are called 'Haiku Reviews.' I'll make mine a little longer and call them tanka-poetry reviews. Similar to haikus, tanka poems are short, using only 31-syllables in the cadence pattern of 5, 7, 5, 7, 7. I'm catching up here on past-due reviews.


The Red Notebook
 by Antoine Laurain, translated from French by Jane Aitken and Emily Boyce
2014.

A man finds a purse. 
He searches for its owner.
Only clue: notebook.
He finds her apartment but
where is she? Sweet love story.

My rating: 4 stars

_________________________________________________  


The Raven Boys: A Graphic Novel
by Maggie Stiefvater, adapted by Stephanie Williams, illustrated by Sas Milledge
2025.

A popular book.
One I liked a lot, redone.
Now graphic novel.
Many details shortened up,
Leaving me wishing for more.

My rating: 3 stars

_______________________________________________________


Brokeback Mountain 
by Annie Proulx
1997.

Reread short story.
Two ranch hands, Ennis and Jack,
Come together one summer.
Their relationship is doomed.
Men in love? Impossible. 

My rating: 5 stars

__________________________________________________


And Yet: Poems
by Kate Baer
2022.

Poems about life, 
mothering, exhaustion.
I met this poet
through book: Hope This Finds You Well.
This collection very good.

My rating: 5 stars

_____________________________________________________


Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr.: Citizen Printer 
edited by Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr.
2024

Big, heavy art book.
Kennedy doesn't think of
himself as artist
but a printer of posters --
Black experiences in America.

My rating: 4 stars

__________________________________________________
-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.