Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Live in My Head Rent-Free
I think of that term "rent-free" as something negative. I tried to find negative situations which remind me of certain books. Not the books fault, though, just association. When I ran out of negative ideas, I threw in a few positive ones just to confuse everyone.
 |
STATION ELEVEN by Emily St. John Mandel I think about this book ALL the time, almost every single day. The book is set before and after a worldwide pandemic which wipes out almost everyone, over 99% of the population. It seems to me that our ending may be similar and it causes me to think of what life may be like after such an event. Depressing little thoughts, huh? |
 |
THE HANDMAID'S TALE by Margaret Atwood Every time politicians (all men) talk about removing or limiting health care options for women (abortion), I think of this book and it makes me cringe. |
 |
LORD OF THE FLIES by William Golding. Boys are marooned on an island and have to fend for themselves and make rules to govern how they live. Within days everything falls apart and lawlessness reigns to the point of murder. The ICE raids that end on murder is one example of current affairs which cause me to think back on the message of this book...left to their own devises most people do not govern their own behavior well. |
 |
| THE PLOT AGAINST AMERICA by Philip Roth |
This is an alternate history of America where the Fascists beat FDR in 1932 and things go downhill immediately after the election for almost everyone, especially for Jews. Trump's fascist tendencies make me want to shove this book in his face and scream "Read it." So maybe he would finally see what a dangerous path he is trotting down.  |
THIS IS HOW IT ALWAYS IS by Laurie Frankel When people try to vilify trans individuals I always think about this book about a family which tries to keep their trans child sex change a secret until the secret keeps them. |
 |
PEACE LIKE A RIVER by Leif Enger This book is about families and hope and miracles. It is full of poetry and warmth. I think back on this book often and find myself wanting to reread it. It speaks to me on a spiritual level. |
 |
UNDER A WHITE SKY: THE NATURE OF THE FUTURE by Elizabeth Kolbert In this nonfiction book Kolbert uses examples of things humans have done to solve problems in nature, which made worse problems. Every time I hear about some effort being attempted to avert some other problem I think about this book and roll my eyes. Except the news that they have reintroduced beavers back to Scotland and it has already solved some flooding problems. Hmm. Mother Nature knows best? |
 |
THE OVERSTORY by Richard Powers Snatches of this book comes to me unbidden whenever I am among trees, which is often. |
 |
LIFE AFTER LIFE by Kate Atkinson I think of this book often as I contemplate what I would do if I could go back in time and correct a mistake, mine or someone else's.
|
 |
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY by Douglas Adams Lest you think I only contemplate serious topics, this book, one of the funniest ever written, often knocks on the door of my head reminding me to laugh at something. |
-Anne
No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.