![]() |
| Host Emma@Words and Peace |
Books /Livres
Children's Books (my level)
Je Suis Une Grenouille! by Mo Willems
My husband and I read this with our grandson, age five. He was very patient with our poor French and when we needed to look up what words meant. Sweet! It is about a pig pretending (faire semblant) to be a frog. The English version is titled: I'm a Frog!
La Porte A4 by Naomi Shihab Nye
This is Naomi Shihab Nye's poem: "Gate 4-A", about a time she had to translate, in her broken Arabic, for a woman who was worried when it was announced the flight was delayed. The woman was in distress because she thought the flight was canceled. I've read the poem before but enjoyed it in French (and a bit of Arabic) this time. There is no English version of this children's book.
Theme: A community can be formed around cookies and stories.
"Tout n'est pas perdu." (All is not lost.)
Petit Bonheur by Yue Zhang
Yue Zhang is a young Chinese author and illustrator. This book about what happens on the eve of Chinese New Year is a sweet little story about magic and helping others. It is not published in English.
Madeleine by Ludwig Bemelmans
Originally published in 1939 this has been a favorite children's book my whole life, but the first time reading it in French. After a little research I learned the book was originally written in English, not French, as I assumed. Unfortunately google translate, which I had to turn to occasionally, took all the poetry out of it so I was forced to find a person on YouTube who read the English version to remind myself of the lovely cadence of the prose. Ah! Parfait! (One other interesting difference, the English version is spelled Madeline.)
Food
Zucchini and Bacon Quiche / Courgettes et Bacon Quiche
My garden runneth over with zucchini so tonight we feast on quiche filled with zucchini and bacon. My husband helped me make this dish. I had an appointment so after I made the crust and helped mix up the eggs and milk, he sauteed the vegetables and compiled everything. It has been a long time since we've made quiche and it was delicious and a wonderful ending to another a successful 'Paris in July.'
-Anne


No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.