"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, July 26, 2026

Sunday Salon -- My family and books


Mom with her great-grandsons, telling stories.

This week we are in Central Oregon for a family reunion. I thought it would be fun to find out what everyone was reading and what books they have enjoyed this year so far. It has been fun collecting their information and stories. And now I'm sharing what I've learned with you. Enjoy! (Links lead to Goodreads so you can read more about the variety of books!)

Anne (me) I'm a reading omnivore: I like literary fiction, poetry, narrative nonfiction, historical fiction, graphic novels, YA, Children's books but I will read it all -- mysteries, fantasy, Sci-Fi, even horror.

Kathy (sister) Enjoys reading literary fiction and inspirational nonfiction.

Don (husband) Prefers reading nonfiction.

Tom (brother-in-Law) Enjoys both fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Kaylyn (niece) Romantasy is her go-to genre.
  • Currently reading: 
    • Silver Elite (Book 1 of series "Silver Elite") by Dani Francis. (Romantasy, dystopia) 
  • Favorite of the year: 

Bobby (nephew-in-law)
Bobby is a reading omnivore but 2/3rds of what he reads is nonfiction especially on the topic of business and leadership. When he reads fiction he prefers Classic Lit or Stephen King novels. Bobby reviews books and articles on his blog: Bobbypowers.com

Dan (son-in-law) Dan enjoys Grimdark Fantasy, a new subgenre to me.

Rita (daughter)
Like me Rita is in two book clubs. She reads a lot of contemporary fiction, and especially enjoys romance and Romantasy novels. She also reads to her children every night so is always up to her eyeballs in middle grade and children's books.

Working on a puzzle together.


Jamie (grandson, preschool) Jamie likes being read to as long as there are good illustrations.

Ian (grandson, upper elementary)
Ian is a reader! He devours his favorite series in no time flat, he especially likes those which feature magic and dragons.
  • Currently reading:
  • Favorite book/series of the year:
    • Dragonborn (Book 1 "Dragonborn" series) by Struan Murray (MG, Fantasy)

Tony (brother) Tony considers himself an omnivore reader but almost exclusively listens to audiobooks.
  • Currently reading:
    • A Michael Connelly (Crime thriller)
  • Favorite:

Becky (sister-in-law) Likes historical fiction and thrillers

Shirley (my mom, age 97) Is currently making her reading selections from the on-site library at her retirement home
  • Currently reading: 
    • A Reader's Digest compilation (Remember them?)
  • A book she has liked this year: 

Carly (daughter) Likes to alternate between these genres: fantasy, thrillers, historical fiction, and romance. She almost exclusively consumes books in the audio format

Rock (brother-in-law) Likes to read Christian nonfiction

Brent (nephew)
Likes Classic and literary fiction and philosophical nonfiction
  • Currently reading:
  • Favorite so far:
    • The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Literary fiction)

Grace (sister) Enjoys historical fiction and as a preschool teacher is all about great easy books for children
Another niece and her family arrived last night but I haven't seen them yet. If they choose to join in, I'll add their books here.


Oh boy this was a fun activity and it really got everyone talking. I learned things about my beloved family members like my nephew who loves to read classic lit (like me) and my brother who almost exclusively listens to audiobooks (like my daughter). Notice there are very few people with similar tastes. The girl cousins all like romance or Romantasy and the sisters/-in-laws all like historical fiction. Other than that there isn't a lot of crossover. I usually keep up on what my daughters are reading and will often ask my sisters what is on their nightstands. We all help keep Mom in books now that she doesn't go to the public library. My husband reflected on this project and wondered aloud if it unusual for everyone in a family to consider themselves readers. I think so!

Old and young: everyone loves to swim.


Well, we're off to go float the Deschutes River and will try to avoid as much forest fire smoke as possible. (It seems that all of Oregon in on fire.) Tonight we will celebrate my oldest sister's birthday. It will be our last meal together before we start to disperse to points south, north, east, and west after another fabulous family reunion.

Thanks for reading.

-Anne



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.