"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

TTT: Books I've Turned to In Times of Grief


Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Have Provided Solace in Times of Grief, Stress or In Need of Comfort

 

The Cure for Sorrow: A Book of Blessings for Times of Grief by Jan Richardson
Recommended to me by the wife of a fallen Sheriff's Deputy. Both she and I have found solace in these blessings, written as poems. I know I will reread this book during future times of crisis, as well.
 
 Good Enough: 40ish Devotionals for a Life of Imperfection by Kate Bowler
My mother gave me this book after the death of our dear relative (mentioned above) and it became very important to me as I tried to process my grief and sorrow.

Ten Poems for Difficult Times by Roger Housden
Poetry can often break through and speak to me when other prose cannot. This book of only ten poems is especially helpful and insightful during these difficult times personally and universally.

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
A fiction book full of wise and touching messages about grace and family-love.

 
 
Stitches: A Book on Meaning, Hope, and Repair by Anne Lamott
I often turn to Lamott's books when I need to feel uplifted or hopeful. This book isn't my favorite of hers, just the most recent one I've read.

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy
A calm, illustrated books with sweet messages and reminders to be mindful and loving.

How Lovely the Ruins: Inspirational Poems and Words for Difficult Times by Spiegel and Grau
This small collection of poems helped me through the difficult days after George Floyd's death and the Black Lives Matter riots.
 


Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
I've read this novel several times and each time it has spoken to me on a spiritual level of God's love for me and my family. I find it extremely comforting.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Epurery
An oldie but a goodie. This book is just precious to the core. So much love. So calm. So sweet.

Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness by Nan Merrill
This book was given to me when my husband was leaving for a tour of duty in Iraq. I needed help out of my fear and dread, to voice my concerns to God in prayer. This book helped.

 

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.