"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, May 8, 2022

Sunday Salon -- Mother's Day

Ian (2nd from left) and teammates waiting for their turn out on the soccer pitch. He liked this part of the game best.

Weather: I woke up today to bright sunshine, a relief after a rainy cold day yesterday. But the sunshine was short lived. It is now overcast, threatening rain.

What a week. So many feels. Highs and Lows.

Mother's Day: My daughters and grandchildren helped me celebrate Mother's Day with a lovely brunch,  a raucous game-playing session, and plenty of loving. We joined my family-of-origin for a Zoom call to wish Mom, aged 93, a happy day.


Paul McCartney:
I've been a Beatles fan since I was five or six years old. This week I finally got to see one of the Beatles in concert, Sir Paul McCartney! What a thrill. I loved everything about the concert and our time in Seattle. It was worth the 60 year wait! (Top to Bottom, Left to Right: Don and I at our hotel, MarQueen, is Seattle before the concert; dinner at Queen Anne McMenamin's; We're inside Climate Pledge Arena; Got Back tour; I texted Paul- he texted back; Paul singing Black Bird; Paul singing; the next day at the Seattle Center -- the concert sign was still up; Space Needle.)

Leaked document -- Abortion is on the way out: The insanity of the conservative movement is so hard to understand. Hopefully all those suburban women who voted for Trump in 2016 because they didn't like Hillary, will get activated and understand their role in reversing this reversal. In the meantime, I hope these funny clips help ease the pain.

SNL Roe v. Wade Cold Open (5/7/22) 6 minutes.




Kentucky Derby: This was the most fun, outlandish results of the week. If you haven't seen this, it is worth the 2:30 minutes to watch it. (Even if you never watch horse racing. Do it!) Here's a few things that might impress you. The favorite, Epicenter, had 4 to 1 odds to win. The winner, Rich Strike had 80 to 1 odds and was only entered into the race on Friday after another horse was scratched. Amazing.


"The Way Down: God, Greed, and the Cult of Gwen Shamblin." HBO special: We watched all five episodes (in one week) and other related YouTube videos. Read my blog post why this impacted me as much as it did. (Weigh Down/ Way Down.)

Books: I only finished one book this week -- Good Enough: 40ish Devotionals for a Life of Imperfection by Kate Bowler. (Click link for review.) I'm reading French Braid by Anne Tyler and So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo. I'll talk about them all next week. 

This is what I think about men making decisions about women's healthcare.

A lot to digest this week. How did things go for you?

-Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.