"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 16, 2022

TTT: Books I Was So Excited to Get Yet I Still Haven't Read


Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Was So Excited To Get Yet I Still Haven't Read 


The Anne of Green Gables series in a boxed set
I purchased it from a friend at her garage sale back in late 1990s. I've since read the first book in the series but haven't touched any of the subsequent novels. Sigh.

Anna Karenina. I bought this book when I was in junior high in the early 1970s. I would scour the Scholastic Book Order each month and purchase one or two books on my small budget, which was lucky since this book cost around 50 cents. I've been carrying this book around with me since that time reading only the first page or two ever. Does this one win for being on anyone's list the longest?

I bought this book, Bonk by Mary Roach, the year it was published in 2009 since I like the author so much and what a different, intriguing topic: Science and Sex.

Ten Windows by Jane Hirshfield. I love reading poetry and I enjoy reading about how to analyze specific poems. When I found this book in a book store in Cannon Beach, Oregon I had to have it. Why? I guess so it could gather dust.

Tiny Habits by B.J. Fogg. I think I heard the author on a morning show on TV. I was super psyched about the idea of making small changes for big results. I started reading it in 2020 just as the COVD restrictions were in full force. I just didn't have the determination to keep reading it. I wonder if there is a chapter in it about making changes in reading habits. Ha!


Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I watched the first episode of the miniseries on PBS in 2008. In those days it was a lot more difficult to catch up on missed episodes so I ordered the book so I wouldn't miss any of the details. Well, it didn't work. I didn't read the book or find the lost episode.

Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gwande. I often stop by the secondhand books "store" at the library and peruse the offerings to buy for a few dollars. I found this prize and bought it because I like the author. Still haven't cracked it open.

Four Seasons in Rome. I went to see the author Anthony Doerr speak about his book All The Light We Cannot See in 2015. I was so taken by his presentation I treated myself by purchasing another of his books, a nonfiction book he wrote while he lived in Rome.

Beach Read. Another find I found at the library "store." I was pretty happy to see it since so many bloggers have reviewed it. It is still untouched.

Tell Me Why. I went through a Beatles phase a few years ago reading all the books about the Fab4 I could get my hands on and listening to their music obsessively. Unfortunately, this used book, a gift from my sister, arrived after the phase had already waned.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Apparently I have purchased this book twice. The first (left) was part of the books I bought in junior or senior high. The second (right) I just got at the library "store". I had forgotten I already had a copy which I've never read, obviously.

I know. I know. It is really obvious why I haven't read some of these books. They sound really boring! Perhaps I should donate them to the library so I can forget I used to own them and re-buy them from the "store" so they can sit around on my bookshelves for another decade or two. Sigh.

-Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.