"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Friday Quotes: Far From the Tree

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---



Title: Far From the Tree by Robin Benway

Book Beginning:
Grace hadn't really thought too much about homecoming. She knew she'd go, though.
Friday 56:
'Well, I guess the high was meeting Maya. And she's normal, I mean, at least she's not homicidal or anything.' 
Comment: Three teens discover that they are siblings they didn't know about since they were all put up for adoption as babies and adopted to different families. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the book. It appears that the book is about them getting to know each other and looking for their birth mother. I could be wrong. This book won the National Book Award for Young Adult Literature.


21 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting premise. I see the tagline is "What does it mean to be a family?" Three siblings placed in different families would be a good setup to explore that question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds interesting - although I have to admit that cover almost makes me feel motion sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne,

    I must admit that I am not too keen on this cover art either, although I do see how it ties in with the title of the book. There is a slightly 'kinder' blue version on Goodreads.

    Likewise, the excerpts you shared aren't earth shatteringly addictive and I don't generally read much YA fiction. However when I took the time to check out the premise, I had a complete re-think. The story line is powerful, the characters believable and the ratings / reviews amazing!

    Given that my own husband is the middle child of three, I know he would relate totally to the character of Grace. He always thinks he was the least recognised of the three, perceived as the most troublesome and always having to strive harder to prove himself.

    A great share, I hope that you enjoy this book :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the hardback cover will be switched out when the paperback comes out. This cover is pretty meh.

      Delete
  4. Hi, this sounds interesting, I like the title with the implication that at least one of the siblings is an apple that didn't fall far from the tree (a phrase that in my experience at least seems usually to be judgmental of parent and child?) I am going to look out for this book, thanks for posting about it.
    Allison @ The Three Rs (and @ Mary Queen of Plots)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting title - I'm thinking it relates to' The apple doesn't fall far from the tree', in which case that alone creates the suspense!

    Here is mine this week: http://bit.ly/2Gia95s

    Happy reading! Have a great weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I normally don't read much YA but I do love the premise here! What an interesting situation. I hope you're enjoying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fascinating plot with lots of potential. Hope it's a good read for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like these kinds of stories, with siblings in search of their mother (or father). Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently bought a Kindle copy of this. It sounds quite different than other books I've read by this author. This week I have Final Siege by Scarlett Cole. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a first. You and I reading the same book at the same time.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a fun read. Have to check it out on GR. I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that cover. I'm such a sucker for a pretty book cover! here is a link to my Friday 56: https://coffeeandcatsblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/friday-56-53-the-long-and-faraway-gone/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked this one! It's funny to have already read the book and just see the two quotes you've posted and have it all come back to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to make myself read it fat so I'm having a hard time getting any traction on it.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like an interesting premise, it would be cool to find out how they learned that they were siblings. Enjoy your read and have a happy weekend! :)

    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen this one before, but I never stopped to read the synopsis. It does sound like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a storyline you don't see often in YA. Hope you enjoy the rest of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.