"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, January 5, 2018

Friday Quotes: January 5, 2018

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---



Title: Dreaming the Beatles: The Love Story of One Band and the Whole World by Rob Sheffield

Book Beginnings:
The Beatles are far more famous and beloved now than they were in their lifespan. when they were merely the four most famous and beloved people on earth...They sincerely tried breaking up---it just didn't work. They've gone from being the world's biggest group to the act that's bigger than all the rest of pop music combined.
Friday 56: (Referring to George Harrison)
He was a quiet and introspective kid who found himself at the center of a pop explosion, admired around the world but still treated as a little boy by his bandmates. He could have let himself get torn apart by the experience...Instead he decided to keep his wits about him and see what he could learn from the whole ride. Yet you can hear how deeply it wounded him, always following the cool kids around, yearning to be a Beatle, even though as far as the world was concerned, he always was.
Comment: I am an unabashed Beatles fan. You'd think that everything we could ever know about the Beatles has already been written. But Sheffield, a columnist for Rolling Stone magazine, takes an unconventional look at the Beatles' astounding story and the love affair they continue to have with the world, over fifty years after their inception. The writing style, as you see from the samples is fun and easy to read. It makes me want to break out my old albums and play along as he talks about various songs and inspirations for them.



17 comments:

  1. My husband would love this book. He happens to be the worlds' biggest Beatles fan. No joke. He has all four tattooed on him. :-) I'll have to pass the book along. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was just published so it is likely he won't know about the book yet. Surprise him with it as a spouse gift!

      Delete
  2. Sounds good. I remember seeing them on TV on the Ed Sullivan Show when I was in high school. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Beatles. This sounds like a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like fun. Here's hoping you'll post when you're done & let us know if it was as fun as it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds interesting! I love the Beatles music but I really don't know all that much about them as a group. Sounds like a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beatles, Beatles, Beatles! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, the Beatles are unmatched by any other group, IMO. Thanks for sharing, and I need to read this book. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love The Beatles. This sounds like a book that would be so interesting to read. Thanks so much for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! I LOVE the Beatles! This must be so cool to read. There's so much history there, and as a group they had gone through so much.

    Jo-Ann at Inspiration PIe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like the writing style for this one. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really interesting! Hope you enjoy! Have an awesome weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds very interesting. I love the Beatles! Hope you enjoy the rest of the book. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder if my uncle has read this book. He is a huge Beatles fan. My mom is too. I grew up listening to them as a result and now my daughter does too. This sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.