"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, January 21, 2013

Top Ten Spots/Settings I'd like to See More of in Books


The Broke and Bookish
Top Ten Tuesday: Setting or Spots I'd like to read more about in books.

I actually think about this question when I am selecting books for my library, especially to celebrate our multicultural heritage. Here are some areas of the world that I find challenging finding good YA lit:

1. South America...any and all of the countries in South America. It is really difficult to find books written about or by South American authors for teens. I wonder if they are there but no one is translating them. Hmm...

2. South Pacific Islands...We have a lot of Pacific Islander students at my school, mainly from Guam and Samoa, and I have a heck of hard time finding books set in these exotic settings.

3. Philippines...We also have a lot of students with ties to the Philippines in our schools.

4. Central America...and all countries in Central America. See the note above about South America.

5. Native American Tribal Lands in the Pacific Northwest... Washington has one of the largest number of Federally recognized tribes of any state in the United States. We need more books set here.

6. Israel...we hear a lot of the conflicts in this area of the world but it is difficult to find YA Lit set in Israel in modern times.

7. Africa...any country. I'm eager for more stories about daily life, not just genocide and AIDS problems.

8. Spain and Portugal

9. Greece and Turkey

10. Australia and New Zealand

8 comments:

  1. Australia is on my list too! Spain would also be a great setting! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/settings/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Portugal would be amazing! Also on my list :)

    Here's my Top Ten: www.best-of-ya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you read romances, but if you do, you might want to check out Wanderlust. Based on your settings wishlist, I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that you've listed it, I can hardly think of any books set in South America. They must be out there though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I would love to see more books set in the South Pacific Islands, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Israel would definitely be interesting. I'd love to read some books that take place there. And, I'd be all for more books set in Greece, Spain, and Portugal too. :)

    My Top Ten Tuesday Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to all of these! Especially the Native American lands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Top Ten. All of these would make terrific settings.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.