"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday Salon...January 20th

Weather: We have been living within a frozen cloud (Fog) for the past three days here at home. But if we travel a few hundred feet in elevation, like where my school is located, the sky is clear and beautiful.

This past week: We attended the Governor's Inaugural Ball in Olympia, Washington. It was a grand occasion and so fun. See photo, it doesn't do the whole event justice.

Yesterday: We attempted a movie, but there was no parking at all at the theater.  Guess everyone was sick of the fog and wanted to spend the afternoon inside. We came home and wrote our thank you cards for Christmas gifts instead.

Today: I fell on the ice on the porch stairs as I was attempting to assist the dog who couldn't get up the stairs because they were so...wait for it...icy. To her credit, the dog "came to my rescue" as soon as I fell down. Nothing is broken.

Tomorrow: I will be glued to the TV watching the 2nd Inauguration of President Obama.

Books I'm reading:

  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily Danforth... a LGBT novel about a girl who is sent to a "re-education camp" for being a lesbian. 
  • 52 Little Lessons from It's a Wonderful Life by Bob Welsh...I'm plugging a way on this book. Each devotion is about three pages, very doable.

Audiobooks I'm listening to right now:

  • Railsea by China Mieville...a take on Herman Melville's Moby Dick.  I just got started and so far I am flat out confused.
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne Valente...I'm half finished with this sequel to The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland... but will need to suspend listening to it because I want to finish Railsea before my Mock Printz even on January 28th.

Recently finished:

  • Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell... a historical fiction set in the early 1920s. Loved it.
  • Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick...a victim of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia speaks out. Very touching and important.
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz..."a beautiful story brilliantly told."-The book jacket. The best LGBT book I've read all year, maybe ever.

Today's Scripture: Philippians 3:1 "Rejoice in the Lord, again I say rejoice."

Around the House: Daughter #2 is home for the long week-end. I love having her here and miss her so much when she is away at college.

From the Kitchen: Homemade Chicken Parmesan. Delicious!



4 comments:

  1. So glad you are ok!! I heard it was pretty bad in certain areas of country with weather. Fantastic to have attended the ball. I'm watching Cinderella with my daughter right now;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you got to go to the Governor's Inaugural Ball! Looks very fancy :)

    I wouldn't normally think to watch the inauguration on TV but I did today because I wasn't feeling well (and hence, wasn't running around). I found it so inspiring and hopeful! I absolutely loved Obama's speech - perfect. I hadn't heard that about Fox News but I agree - disgusting. The hatred and vitriol really bother me. Why can't we listen to each other and respect others' opinions, even if we don't agree with them?

    Well, anyway, it looks like you are doing a LOT of reading!! Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that the Fox News thing was incorrect, even though I checked the source that reported it. I went to Fox today and it was running coverage of the Inauguration. So either it was an affiliate that was doing routine maintenance or I was duped. Sorry to report an inaccuracy. (I've actually removed the content from the blog.)

      Delete
  3. I hope you don't have any nasty bruises from the fall. I only watched a bit of the inauguration, but it was pretty cool. One thing I learned (and how did I not know this?) Obama smokes (smoked?) and chews Nicorette gum

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.