"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday Salon...January 27

Home from the ALA Conference with a pile of loot!
Weather: Rainy.

Friday: Deborah Ford, now with Junior Library Guild, made a special trip from ALA Conference in Seattle to meet with me and several other district librarians.  It was a fun, affirming, interesting, and well-spent day.  Thanks Deborah for making the long trek to visit with us!

Yesterday:  My hubby and I attended a dinner for eight (3 couples, and 2 singles) as part of our church fellowship. We had a fun evening of conversation and food.

Today: I went to the Exhibitors portion of the ALA conference in Seattle with two other high school librarians. We got so loaded up with loot that we had to make three trips back to the car because we couldn't lug everything around. We probably got over 50+ ARC copies of books including Prodigy, the new Sarah Dessen (I can't remember the name); and the sequel to Grave Mercy.  SCORE!

Tomorrow: Is the Mock Printz Workshop after school. I had over 50 readers this year on my Mock Printz team and so far every single one of the replies has been YES.  I could have a BIG group of kids working with me to pick their favorite YA book of the year.  I will post the results tomorrow evening.  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the actual Printz awards are announced tomorrow so I will have to avoid the Internet tomorrow so I don't accidentally bump into the results before my workshop. I'm on pins and needles.

Book I am reading and listening to right now: Railsea by China Mieville. A twist on the Moby Dick story. I listen to it in the car then read ahead when I am in the house.

Books I finished this week:

  • 52 Life Lessons from It's a Wonderful Life by Bob Welch.
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily Danforth
  • The Girl Who Fell Below Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne Valente
I'm praying for my daughter who is experiencing real challenges as a first-year teacher of 4th graders.


From the kitchen: Black Forest Cheesecake. We took it to the dinner for eight, but once piece was leftover so we just shared it.  Yum!


3 comments:

  1. I have started looking at the Awards lists (don't worry, no spoilers), it's always so much fun!

    Cheesecake... I am jealous! And you have all those fun new books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! The ALA conference sounds like lots of fun.

    Enjoy your Mock Printz voting tomorrow and your books this week -

    Sue

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a great time visiting in Seattle. Your library is gorgeous and you're doing some amazing things!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.