|UO Duck skydiving.|
Today: First Sunday of the New Year and first Seattle Seahawks playoff game (hopefully more to come.) We, the whole family, are watching the game right now.
Yesterday: we took down the Christmas decorations. Now the house looks dull and drab. This happens every January after I put away all the bright, colorful Christmas trimmings.
This past week: the University of Oregon football team won the Fiesta Bowl, 35-17. My favorite play was the opening play where DeAnthony Thomas ran the ball back for a touchdown. Way to go, Ducks!
- Keeping the Castle by Patrice Kindl...I've just started this story which seems to be a combination Jane Austen story, a Cinderella re-telling, and I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (which I love, by the way.) Already I am picking up that the story is a bit silly and the characters a cliches. I'll reserve judgment until I read a bit more.
- 52 Lessons from It's a Wonderful Life by Bob Welsh...The title says is all. I love the movie and watch it every holiday season. Bob Welsh is a family friend. I am loving it.
- Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell... set in the Roaring Twenties, the main character is just leaving for an adventure in Egypt.
- Dodger by Terry Pratchett...a delightful and clever tale in the style of Dickens, who is in fact a character in this book. Pratchett is a master and very funny story-teller.
- Ask the Passengers by A.S. King... a high school senior is questioning her sexual orientation but has no friends or family members which she trusts to talk over her concerns. Look for my review of this book later today or tomorrow.
Today's scripture lesson: Philippians 1: 27 "Whatever happens conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ."
New Year's Resolution: to do my utmost to follow the above scripture.
A commercial message: I recently discovered The Body Shop Body Butters. I have such dry skin that I usually spend all winter completely miserable. Now my skin is smooth and soft. My favorites are all designed for very dry skins: mango, shea, or cocoa.
From the kitchen: two new recipes that were BIG hits: Chicken Enchiladas made with green sauce; Minty Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.