"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Friday Quotes, October 16

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now:

Book Title: Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya Van Wagenen

Book Beginnings: 
"School is the armpit of life," my best friend Kenzie once told me. Amen. My school is no exception.
Friday 56:
This morning Mom helped me put my hair in two tiny buns on either side of my head. It looks like mushrooms are sprouting out of my skull. "I was going for the Princess Leia look," I mutter.
Comments:
This memoir is written by a gal who decided to spend her 8th grade year following the advice she reads in a Teenage Popularity Guide published in 1951. The book won the YALSA Nonfiction award last year. I am super excited to jump into it.

14 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about this book, I need to see if my library has a copy!
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/friday-reads-16th-october-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this opening line! It really makes me want to look out for this book! :)

    My Book Beginnings post is here: https://rathertoofondofbooks.wordpress.com/2015/10/16/book-beginnings-16-october/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about this one - it sounds like it would be very interesting!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds intriguing. This week I am spotlighting a new book - Losers Take All by David Klass. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, now I am very intrigued....who doesn't hate high school, especially those with geekish tendencies...LOL. Thanks for sharing....and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I love to learn, I mean I really adore it, Kenzie is right. School was worse than the armpit of life for me. Please check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsblog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this book and I have to not only agree with the beginning but state that sometimes school also smells like an armpit!....lol....Thanks for visiting My Book Beginning & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a delightful story! Having suffered through many hair catastrophes in my girlhood, the Friday56 excerpt definitely resonates with me. I'll read this one for sure.
    My Friday post features The Beach Walkers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this one, but I do like the concept. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these crack me up. And that cover is too perfect! Sounds like all kinds of fun.

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/10/16/the-friday-56-82-my-life-as-a-white-trash-zombie/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anne,

    I was always bullied at achool, however I still used to love going to lessons and doing homework - although my mother did inflict some seriously bad hairdos on me!!

    Although this probably wouldn't be a book for me, I am left wondering whether Maya's life was any better, after she followed advice from the past, or whether the images of the cover art were more like the result achieved - Great memories of those cardboard cut-out dolls with the clothes held on by folded paper tabs!

    Thanks for sharing and I hope that your reading schedule gets back on track very soon :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL sounds funny as hell. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might have worn a couple of tiny mushrooms growing up. Mothers and hair is a story in itself. I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the beginning! And I think this is a fun fun read! Who didn't want to look like Princess Leia at some point in their life? :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.